M-Tronic - Avoid? Or Acquire?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had that problem myself, I could build and set those Rochester 4 barrels up to run any way I wanted them to. A slight tweak on the automatic choke , proper working accelerator pump and a top notch battery, old truck fired up and ran sweet summer or winter.
Ever run those quadra-pukes on hills or slopes. Didn't think so, they stall out, even with off-road updates.

ms500 is it really needed? its 1100$for the 462.and 1200 $ for the 661!

550,562,572 and a 390 carb (yuck) . Rebuilt several and super easy to reset carbs, just plug them in. Look at total hours on saw, time at idle, number of starts, fuel quality and more showing how people abuse those saws. People complain about bogging and have never removed and cleaned air filter. M-tronic who would own those :laughing: Power is still out, people come to cabins on Higgins lake (million plus dollar homes) turn on ac and overloads power grid.
That's it, you're such a slacker, get with the times. Maybe you should make an adapter to put a throttle body on that 390:lol:.
Nice when all goes well, but you know that hasn't been everyones experience. There are certainly some nice things about them just as the fuel injected cars. I think if you want a better argument you better go with antilock brakes ;).
Man hope no-one needs an update :laugh:.
What are you a snowflake, blaming everything on the rich:laughing:.

I’m not a super in depth chainsaw mech but know more than enough to get myself in trouble mainly from a few years of being on these sites.

Behaving owned Dolmar, Husqvarna and Stihl in different varieties both AT/MT and std carb. I’ve come to this conclusion. They are just like vehicles. Every brand no matter which one will have excellent vehicles and those that are crap. If you have good dealer support go ahead and buy a diesel with def, if not think about that hard.

Saws are no different. I’ve had issues with brand new std carb and mtronic, but if you have good reliable dealer support in the area cool run with them. If you are inclined to work on your own stuff then it’s a no brained. With the amount of help here in this forum it makes a big difference.

I’m moving to a dealerless area in the very near future. As much as I love new tech and the latest deal out there. I’m going to go back to a std carved version. I’m either a 572 or 461 for the 70cc class. For a smaller saw for limbs. I bought a MS250 a few years back and have been nothing but impressed with that sucker. For a farm and ranch saw it’s plain rips bigger than its size.

No matter which way you run you may or may not have issues. On the note of fuel sitting, it’s never great but I’ve been guilty of neglect more than once and you can save some headaches with good ethanol free fuel, a small amount of stabilizer and gold oil for mix. Lots of knowledge here for sure good luck with your choice.

I waited 34 years before I bought a fuel injected truck, my carbed truck did anything my newer fuel injected truck did or does. 34 years without a breakdown or stupid trouble light coming on, could fix anything on that truck myself. This new truck I can change oil, stupid TPS light has been on since it was 8 months old....LOL

I got a 73 chevy C10 ,free when going to school. It Had a nice white oak bed and needed a clutch. I had a spare muncie M21 and 11" clutch for my camaro, then found a low miles I-6 292.

With that in hand I found an early 60s 1-6 292 carb. Manual choke no smog ****. It gets > 20 mpg. I can fix anything , quickly.

Same with my saws. Pre-limiter.

Want to buy a fuel injected saw? Pay then, and a LOT more later. Resale on that POS will be lots less than a "vintage" saw.

LOL.
I ran one before they were released in the states, I had nothing bad to say about it, strong saw.
Why not have one of each, a 572 and a 372 just in case.

That is a thought but where I’m moving I’ll hardly have a “real” use for a 70cc as is. Not too many trees in ND around my new place lol.

But if the OP hangs here too long issues like lack of trees will end up being meaningless....

That's it, you're such a slacker, get with the times. Maybe you should make an adapter to put a throttle body on that 390:lol:.
Nice when all goes well, but you know that hasn't been everyones experience. There are certainly some nice things about them just as the fuel injected cars. I think if you want a better argument you better go with antilock brakes ;).
Man hope no-one needs an update :laugh:.
What are you a snowflake, blaming everything on the rich:laughing:.
Come on, so all carb saws are 100% trouble free. Not! Auto tune has not been updated and improved? Sure, most on this site can repair or tune a carb saw, but go to a dealer and look at saws that come from joe homeowner (they know nothing about a saw) and pro cutters. Dirty, not maintained, beat and they have no clue how to repair (many Pro's also). You only listen to bad experiences and rave about them. Most have purchased auto-tunes without a problem, problems arise from lack of service (do not even change a spark plug), clogged fuel and air filter, forget to mix fuel or grab non mixed can (even pro's do that). No one talks about how that auto-tune saved top end by compensating for bad fuel or air leak. Only know how to pull starter cord and if it does not run, it's junk. SO There.:hi::laughing:

As far as rich, not a problem with me, they worked for it, enjoy it. Just use a little of that money and install a large generator. My 22 year old Yamaha generator works just fine. Looking at a PTO generator to run ac, water heater, dryer. No LP (and will not be), or natural gas here.

Come on, so all carb saws are 100% trouble free. Not! Auto tune has not been updated and improved? Sure, most on this site can repair or tune a carb saw, but go to a dealer and look at saws that come from joe homeowner (they know nothing about a saw) and pro cutters. Dirty, not maintained, beat and they have no clue how to repair (many Pro's also). You only listen to bad experiences and rave about them. Most have purchased auto-tunes without a problem, problems arise from lack of service (do not even change a spark plug), clogged fuel and air filter, forget to mix fuel or grab non mixed can (even pro's do that). No one talks about how that auto-tune saved top end by compensating for bad fuel or air leak. Only know how to pull starter cord and if it does not run, it's junk. SO There.:hi::laughing:

As far as rich, not a problem with me, they worked for it, enjoy it. Just use a little of that money and install a large generator. My 22 year old Yamaha generator works just fine. Looking at a PTO generator to run ac, water heater, dryer. No LP (and will not be), or natural gas here.
Wait, are you saying I need to change the spark plugs lol.
I'm confused, I'm raving about bad experiences o_O, plenty have had bad experiences, I feel I'm pretty non biased as well as realistic in my expectations as well as my advice. You realize ive said I only had one issue with all the mtronic and autotune saws I've had/have, you must be messing with me. Right now I have the 201, ported 241, 540, 550, 261 vsII, and a 576, for work they are my go to saws mainly for the features and the fuel economy(not because I'm saving money on fuel but because I'm saving time not fueling). I still wouldnt recommend a saw with an electronic carb to a guy for cutting a few cords of firewood a yr, they cost more money than a comparable standard carb saw and the potential for more expensive repairs also exist. For those reasons I don't think its practical.

As far as the rich, not a problem as long as they dont "tax" the system:laughing:.
Junk Yamaha, buy a Honda :happybanana:.

"Ever run those quadra-pukes on hills or slopes. Didn't think so, they stall out, even with off-road updates."

Yes, had one on my 1979 K-5 Blazer and put over 300,000 miles on it. Went Coast to Coast a couple of times, scores of trips from VA to Florida, and a zillion runs to the Outer Banks to go surf fishing. Never had a single issue once no matter how rough the terrain or steep the angles.

I use one on my GTO as well, been flawless now for at least 20 years. I seldom hear any "quadra-puke" or "quadrajunk" comments, especially in the staging lanes in the final rounds of a big race!......LOL......Cliff

"Ever run those quadra-pukes on hills or slopes. Didn't think so, they stall out, even with off-road updates."

Yes, had one on my 1979 K-5 Blazer and put over 300,000 miles on it. Went Coast to Coast a couple of times, scores of trips from VA to Florida, and a zillion runs to the Outer Banks to go surf fishing. Never had a single issue once no matter how rough the terrain or steep the angles.

I use one on my GTO as well, been flawless now for at least 20 years. I seldom hear any "quadra-puke" or "quadrajunk" comments, especially in the staging lanes in the final rounds of a big race!......LOL......Cliff

I built this and it had a "quadra-puke" and was junk on the dunes, fixed that with electronic computer controlled fuel injection. Could change idle, timing, fuel setting from hand held controller. IMG950638.jpg I rebuilt 350 Chevy 4 bolt mains, rebuilt Munice 465 trans with Novak kit, hydraulic clutch, spooled Ford 8.8 rear end, locker front end with Superior axles, Novak adapters, Novak Radiator, Flex-a lite fan, Custom drive shafts. Looked plain Jane, but air tires down to 4psi and would hang with the Big Boys in sand and hills. Mud and Rocks, NO! Wife hated it and someone else owns it.

Wait, are you saying I need to change the spark plugs lol.
I'm confused, I'm raving about bad experiences o_O, plenty have had bad experiences, I feel I'm pretty non biased as well as realistic in my expectations as well as my advice. You realize ive said I only had one issue with all the mtronic and autotune saws I've had/have, you must be messing with me. Right now I have the 201, ported 241, 540, 550, 261 vsII, and a 576, for work they are my go to saws mainly for the features and the fuel economy(not because I'm saving money on fuel but because I'm saving time not fueling). I still wouldnt recommend a saw with an electronic carb to a guy for cutting a few cords of firewood a yr, they cost more money than a comparable standard carb saw and the potential for more expensive repairs also exist. For those reasons I don't think its practical.

As far as the rich, not a problem as long as they dont "tax" the system:laughing:.
Junk Yamaha, buy a Honda :happybanana:.
Messing with you, who me? :yes: Did you sell the 550 Mark II? Bet you make your children use those small saws. ;)

Exactly, come to vacation and leave on probation. Bud Bash and Tip-up-Town are both big money makers for our County, thank goodness for the rich. :yes:

I like Honda, just like Stihl, overpriced. :buttkick::dancing:

This is a great thread, just as good as some of the oil/gas mix ones. Seems to be a stand between people who love new technology and are telling us to get onboard with it as it is inevitable and rarely fails, on the other side are old school like me who like to keep things as simple as possible and see some of the new technology as being an unnecessary complication with potential high repair costs. I drive a corvette with some mind boggling complexity that doesn't improve anything, just makes it more difficult to repair and gets added to the list of just another thing that could fail. Anyone who thinks all new technology is super reliable should visit a car dealership in the morning and talk to drivers who are there because their "check engine" light is on.
I was an underground electrician in a coal mine for 26 years.
Every time we got a new miner it had 20 extra things on it to stop it or go wrong,
but not one thing on it to cut/load any faster than the previous model.

Back