M-Tronic - Avoid? Or Acquire?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Messing with you, who me? :yes: Did you sell the 550 Mark II? Bet you make your children use those small saws. ;)

Exactly, come to vacation and leave on probation. Bud Bash and Tip-up-Town are both big money makers for our County, thank goodness for the rich. :yes:

I like Honda, just like Stihl, overpriced. :buttkick::dancing:
Yeah you.
:omg:, haven't ran that one yet, so I guess I forgot about it :laugh:.
I think you been participating in those events a little too much :cool:.
Honda FTW. Just talked to a guy on the 4th who has a Honda 300 4wd quad that still runs like a top, it from the 80's, he says he doesnt do nothing but drive it. He was also telling me about all the problems he's had with his 2016 Kubota because of all the sensors :D. I have a 2012 Kubota L3800 that has been awesome, and I'd much rather have the hydrostatic trans than a standard one for what I do its also very proven tech for the risk/reward involved.

"I built this and it had a "quadra-puke"and was junk on the dunes...etc....etc."

Then you simply know NOTHING about a Quadrajet, not much more to it than that......FWIW.

As for the topic at hand, the logger who did my new property is not impressed anyplace with the M-Tronic stuff. I'd add here that he's not a mechanic but capable of replacing parts, and he has stuck with the MS-660 to keep things simple and the same. He did note and show me that the air filters were letting quite a bit of fine saw dust past them, which surprised me as they appeared to fit pretty well. He said he has to really keep up on the filter cleaning or they give troubles. During our discussion he pulled the filter from one after only one day in the woods and there was a a lot of chips in the filter and what I thought was a lot of very fine dust that got past the filter. Anyone else run into this problem?........Cliff

"I built this and it had a "quadra-puke"and was junk on the dunes...etc....etc."

Then you simply know NOTHING about a Quadrajet, not much more to it than that......FWIW.

As for the topic at hand, the logger who did my new property is not impressed anyplace with the M-Tronic stuff. I'd add here that he's not a mechanic but capable of replacing parts, and he has stuck with the MS-660 to keep things simple and the same. He did note and show me that the air filters were letting quite a bit of fine saw dust past them, which surprised me as they appeared to fit pretty well. He said he has to really keep up on the filter cleaning or they give troubles. During our discussion he pulled the filter from one after only one day in the woods and there was a a lot of chips in the filter and what I thought was a lot of very fine dust that got past the filter. Anyone else run into this problem?........Cliff
I know, they will not run upside down. :yes:

Yeah you.
:omg:, haven't ran that one yet, so I guess I forgot about it :laugh:.
I think you been participating in those events a little too much :cool:.
Honda FTW. Just talked to a guy on the 4th who has a Honda 300 4wd quad that still runs like a top, it from the 80's, he says he doesnt do nothing but drive it. He was also telling me about all the problems he's had with his 2016 Kubota because of all the sensors :D. I have a 2012 Kubota L3800 that has been awesome, and I'd much rather have the hydrostatic trans than a standard one for what I do its also very proven tech for the risk/reward involved.
Been to Tip-up-Town once in 65 years, that was enough. Non-drinker, party pooper. :yes: Guy with that Honda must be person complaining about his Auto-tune, has never done any maintenance. I at least have changed oil on my 21 year old Yamaha. My 2004 New Holland TC33D is also a hydro, has worked great for me, but I also change filters, engine oil, hydro oil to all season (easier on hydraulics in winter) and grease it regularly. Like I have always said, run what you like, it's your money. Now that I am retired, I encourage not maintaining your equipment, gives me something to repair and wife likes me in the garage after 41 years of living with me. God bless her! :happy:

Your engine woln't either, unless you put plenty of 2 stroke oil in the gas....LOL.....
Dry sump, high pressure oil system. It will run quite awhile. Forgot to mention I ripped oil pan and filter once, that did stop the fun. :angry:

Been to Tip-up-Town once in 65 years, that was enough. Non-drinker, party pooper. :yes: Guy with that Honda must be person complaining about his Auto-tune, has never done any maintenance. I at least have changed oil on my 21 year old Yamaha. My 2004 New Holland TC33D is also a hydro, has worked great for me, but I also change filters, engine oil, hydro oil to all season (easier on hydraulics in winter) and grease it regularly. Like I have always said, run what you like, it's your money. Now that I am retired, I encourage not maintaining your equipment, gives me something to repair and wife likes me in the garage after 41 years of living with me. God bless her! :happy:
Never been to either, I'm done with all that type of partying :drinking::cool:.
Not sure what type of saws he's into, but his equipment is all very clean.
His kubota issues were all from sensors related to the cooling system, when the stuff works it works well, but when it doesn't :baba:. I've seen quite a few problems with thw hydro trannys on the newer new Holland's, must be a ford thing, not sure as im not much into tractors. Mines getting full synthetic this time, suppose to quite them down quite a bit, I've got all the fluids/filters just need the mosquitoes to die down a bit so I can get it done.
I havent sent you any of my equipment, have I, just the stuff others havent maintained :rock:.
You must have done some of the right preventive maintenance in that relationship, talk about a complex system, I've read the owners manual :reading:.
Speaking of that, gotta run :hi:.

The leakage is nothing new.They will swear it’s operator error. They’re pissing on our legs and they say it’s raining.
Some models seal better than others. I put a light layer of grease on any and all sealing areas.
Once the air fitter gets clogged, the will leak like crazy.
The new filters on the MS661 CM seal very well.

My 066 came with the wire mesh filter that let fines through. I switched to the HD filter assy and nothing seems to get through. Spank the prefilter off when fueling and main filter stays clean quite a while.

I wonder what filter was giving Cliff the problems on the MS-660?

His kubota issues were all from sensors related to the cooling system, when the stuff works it works well, but when it doesn't :baba:. I've seen quite a few problems with thw hydro trannys on the newer new Holland's, must be a ford thing, not sure as im not much into tractors. Mines getting full synthetic this time, suppose to quite them down quite a bit, I've got all the fluids/filters just need the mosquitoes to die down a bit so I can get it done.
I havent sent you any of my equipment, have I, just the stuff others havent maintained :rock:.
You must have done some of the right preventive maintenance in that relationship, talk about a complex system, I've read the owners manual :reading:.
Mine is a Japanese produced New Holland, not a newer Korean made New Holland. Neighbor has a 50+ hp Kubota with backhoe, quick disconnect bucket and pallet forks, broom and Boss snow push box. Very nice set up.

She is a low maintenance model and hard worker! :bowdown:

Mine is a Japanese produced New Holland, not a newer Korean made New Holland. Neighbor has a 50+ hp Kubota with backhoe, quick disconnect bucket and pallet forks, broom and Boss snow push box. Very nice set up.

She is a low maintenance model and hard worker! :bowdown:
Had to put a head gasket in my NH @2500 hours. Did some Google research and it was only my model . TC55DA. Dealer told me he never heard of it. The parts lady gave me a print out that said a new style head gasket was required and to follow the new head bolt torque procedure.:wtf:

Had to put a head gasket in my NH @2500 hours. Did some Google research and it was only my model . TC55DA. Dealer told me he never heard of it. The parts lady gave me a print out that said a new style head gasket was required and to follow the new head bolt torque procedure.:wtf:
It can happen to any engine. Have rebuilt or helped rebuild a few John Deere's, the Holy Grail of tractors. Only way to keep from having trouble with equipment is just do not use it. That rotary rake you suggested just gets better every time I use it. Why we used bar rakes is beyond me. Thanks again.

Mine is a 1940 9N ford. I paid $1200 30 years ago. It came with original 2 bottom plow, harrow, tire chains, scoop bucket., grader blade.

Since then, I replaced rear tires (tucker tire $600 Mounted on rims delivered), redid wires, rebuilt carb. It will run my 5ft brush hog all day on 8-gal of gas. No fancy hydralics or live PTO, but the 6V+ electrics start at zero and I plow snow.

It uses about a quart of oil in a year, then it needs changing anyway.

I also skid logs for my mill, and have trailers to haul with.

Oh, and the toolbox is lunchbox size. I can fix most anything with what that contains.

"I wonder what filter was giving Cliff the problems on the MS-660?"

Not my saw, they belonged to the company that was logging my property. The owner said that the filters on the MS-660's plus easily, quickly and they let a LOT of very fine material past them.

It's standard procedure for him to clean them daily........Cliff

It's merely a matter of time before the aftermarket comes out with a hand held module OR simply a phone application and a cord to access the computer on the saws. The motorcycle world is FULL of manufacturers trying to keep their hardware/software under wraps and every single one has been broken by smart people.

Just like OBDII...at first, nobody but dealers and high end shops had the tooling to diagnose....now you can get a scanner on Amazon for $30
I had no idea that obdii went through a similar process, or the motorcycle industry is going through the same bs. Fascinating!

This gives me hope for the future thank you!

Back