Mac 10-10A Parts interchangeable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Rybicki

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at buying a used piston off of ebay for my Mculloch Mac 10-10A (600002U), however it is from a right hand Mac 10-10A and not sure how much older or newer it is in comparison to mine. It includes the jug but there are minor details that are different from mine. I was wondering if all internal Mac 10-10A parts were interchangeable regardless of right hand/left hand start or year? (more specifically, the piston itself).

Thanks

I can't help you with this but I am interested in this topic. My dad bought one of those back in the 70s. I remember him buying it and using it for many many years. It does not have a chain brake. He passed away in 99 and as far as I know it is still sitting in his building. I think I will ask my mom about it. I would love to get it running again.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

They are great saws and still very viable today
f3bec1a1c8961ed4afd71e6d1167630c.jpg

I would think the pistons are about all the same on the 10-10 saws including the 10-10A since they're the same bore and stroke. The 10-10S has a bigger piston so I know it wouldn't fit. I've always toyed with the idea of having a 10-10 with a starter on both sides...

I went ahead and found an aftermarket piston assembly off of "Chainsawr" with the same bore that supposedly fits the Mac 10-10A. (1.75") I also believe I have an air leak in my saw due to bad crank seals (will fire and rev up without use of throttle when fuel mixture dumped into carb, but won't stay running). So, I bought "new" crank seals for the saw. If you look at the photos of my saw on my profile, you can see that the top of the piston is pretty toasted with some light scoring all around the piston.

Any tips on new piston / crank seal installation for this particular saw? I personally have never tackled either. I plan on tearing down the saw and cleaning out any carbon build up from the cylinder before I install the new piston/rings (which should've been done the first time). It seems like it should be a fairly simple job..

Also curious if anyone has ran into any problems doing this kind of repair on the same model or similar saw. I'd appreciate any info!

Latest posts

Back