Mac 3216 good saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did a little milling job for a guy today and he gave me this chainsaw for free. Looks like a low hour saw. I was planing on cleaning the carb and trying to use it. Any ideas on the age of this saw2F84D4E8-AB53-4938-8C19-D598FD413E80.jpegCAFD209D-1927-4B01-BCDE-B771090B21F2.jpegAA4CF3EC-4D57-4771-973E-6DE91027BE7B.jpeg

Its on my list of saws i absolutely will not work on for any amount of money. When they ran...they ran okay, just okay. But getting them to run was the real trick

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I have a 20 year old Mac 3818 that is one of my truck and camp saws. It's a Timex; nothing fancy, but it takes a licking but keeps on ticking. It's been used and abused, and sits on a shelf with fuel in it as a ready to go saw. Sure its a POS saw, but since it's reliable and of little value I keep it around. If it quit running properly, I doubt I'd spend much in the way of time trying to repair it.

A buddy's son took all but the main trunk of a large cherry tree down with a 3216. It surprised me, but it gave no issue and was a borrowed saw as he had no other.

I believe the 3200 series type saws were made from the early 90's to the mid 2000's.

Bad fuel and oil lines are common with these saws. And as noted they are tough to get to and work on.

Looks like a mint saw. Put some gas in it and give it a try. Hopefully you got a winner. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Ok saw if it runs. Fuel and oil lines are a pain to replace. If got one, runs when it wants to run. Mine was made in Mexico before China bought it.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
Agreed. I just did that once again to save a Mac Silver Eagle. Dag Gum it, that saw still runs well once again. New plumbing was all that it needed. Hard to kill these puppies.

The Italian macs were neat well made saws, very smooth runners, weren't they built in relation to partner, or Alpina?

The Italian macs were neat well made saws, very smooth runners, weren't they built in relation to partner, or Alpina?

I heard that rumor also. This repair I made was done after the owner said, "It's all yours. I don't want to even try to fix it. Shelf queen for 20 years." First thing I did was check compression: 140 psi. All the fuel and oil lines tubes were rotting away as Steve predicted and the primer was shot. The Silver Eagle might be a hair smaller than the 3216, but most of the parts overlap. Nice project for a rainy/wintry mix day but you need a lot of patience and at least 30" of tubing to replace all those lines.

Having a hard time getting this hose through. I think the diameter on the hole is smaller in the tank and to tight to go through. I was thinking try and sand down the edge on the tube. Pretty clean tho. I poured some fuel down the carb and she runs. Fuel line fell apart so replacing it and I’m hoping to carry this little guy around in my truck 6E187B40-DA90-4618-BB98-FCC8C86B3309.jpeg1BE59988-C103-4700-ADDD-CCDC66E1CDCE.jpegE7320F12-9C8B-4694-815D-DFBFAED24F3C.jpegFAF8D913-D489-46A5-90BC-FD319F81D1BD.jpeg

The tank is a separate piece, the lines run thru the pass-thru in the body, be careful not to pinch them. Have a look at the oil line while its apart, down below the flywheel as i recall.
897fa8fecaa781e5b104d90208379717.jpg

I just cut them at a angle to make them fit through the hole. She primes now and fires up but squirting fuel out of the carb looks like when priming. I called it quits for the night. Going to clean the plug and look at the leak better tomorrow, lines are a little loose at the bulb and bulb to carb 2D1AB5E6-2CCE-4FE3-80C5-00C54D22040F.jpeg81411FE8-F56F-4E7B-A1D7-DFDB1E267279.jpegCDEAC2C8-C4D0-4A8E-9D06-D45358B4398C.jpeg

Is it pulling fuel from the tank, thru the carb, into the bulb, then back into the tank? If the lines are backwards it will push fuel into the carb and you don't want that

Good reminder by RED --> "Have a look at the oil line while its apart." As long as you are at it, replace that oil line. Once it cracks on the outside of the tank, it could fill the whole case up up with bar oil and that's a mess and a half. However, that also means removing the outer handle and splitting the housing and trigger handle apart (lots of screws) in order to get to the oil tank and the tubing. Remember that I said in post #9 that it takes patience to restore these old birds.

Back