Mac15 help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,
I live in the UK and have joined your site today. I’m hoping some one can answer a question about a mcculloch mac15. I have just bought a good running example ( needs a carb clean and tune) . I primarily bought it as 1. I use chainsaws frequently 2. My farther use to run one. 3. It was born the same era as me(apparently)
What I would like to know is my model has a black crinkle finished gas tank, I remember my dads had a yellow gloss gas tank. Doing some online investigation there seem to be both coloured tanks around.
Is there any significance to what colour the tanks are ?
What years they were made?
Which factory they were made?
Or is it just a case of whatever was there at the time.
Hope someone has the answer,
Regards Phil

By the way, just awaiting a pioneer 650(no spark) but in its original wooden crate with warranty card and lots of paperwork , so I will probably be asking a few questions about it when she arrives.

15s were made over bout 10yr iirc, as were 650s.
all 3 15s ive had were yellow tank. no idea on the black ones. kept the canuck one. got 2 runners out of the 3.
subbin for 650 pics.
Thanks rocketnorton, I guess I will keep it Matt black as it seems to have been original and not repainted by someone. Once I get sorted with the 650 I will try to upload some photos, firstly will look in to the lack of spark and see what I find. Thanks for the interest.

McCulloch changed things around all the time, I also have Mac 15's with yellow tanks and black tanks. I think there must have been constant tension between the Engineers, Manufacturing, Purchasing, and Marketing....I guess not much has really changed in the world of work.

You have the Acres link above while, not gospel, is usually pretty reliable. The Mac 15 was McCulloch's first attempt at a consumer saw according to their advertising.

Most were equipped with the Tillotson HC carburetor (basically and HL without the fuel pump) but some had a Tillotson or Walbro cube style carburetor as well.

Mark

McCulloch changed things around all the time, I also have Mac 15's with yellow tanks and black tanks. I think there must have been constant tension between the Engineers, Manufacturing, Purchasing, and Marketing....I guess not much has really changed in the world of work.

You have the Acres link above while, not gospel, is usually pretty reliable. The Mac 15 was McCulloch's first attempt at a consumer saw according to their advertising.

Most were equipped with the Tillotson HC carburetor (basically and HL without the fuel pump) but some had a Tillotson or Walbro cube style carburetor as well.

Mark
Thanks Mark,
Good information, thank you, it is running rough? then seems to starve itself of fuel after around 2 minutes of running, always fires up first pull though. Going to invest in a overall kit, it’s running a tillotson HC13A carb.
Cheers Phil.

There is a strainer in the tank which tends to clog with rust and debris... that would explain why it is running fine for a while and re-starts easily.

There is a strainer in the tank which tends to clog with rust and debris... that would explain why it is running fine for a while and re-starts easily.
Thanks for the advice, will be my first port of call when I take her to bits. I will get a overall kit anyway- won't hurt to have one in my workshop.
Cheers.

Back