Made a Kindling Splitter today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I needed something to keep the wood in place when splitting kindling. This is what I came up with so far.

IMG_5315.jpg

I may modify it later since it does seem to move around a little bit more than I'd like side to side.

maybe add a spring under the wedge head to return it to the proper height after impact. also maybe a second rod to stabilize the spinning motion... very nice contraption.:clap::clap:

Very good idea. In my Grandmother's garage there is a tool very similiar to that from the 70's; the only difference is it rides on a squared piece of metal rather than a round pipe, but it is the same idea. Good job!

Thanks! The square tubing is a great idea. That would keep it from twisting. I'll have to try it in version 2. :msp_smile:

I think the "spinning motion" might actually be an advantage...rather than having to move the wood after each split the op can simply shift the wedge a bit to the side...sure it might make some angle-sided kindling but it's just kindlin' not dimensional lumber. ;) I like it the way it is.

Ed

I think the "spinning motion" might actually be an advantage...rather than having to move the wood after each split the op can simply shift the wedge a bit to the side...sure it might make some angle-sided kindling but it's just kindlin' not dimensional lumber. ;) I like it the way it is.

Ed

Oh it kicks it off the round it's attached to. :msp_smile: I need to find my 4lb hammer. I think it will work better than trying to hammer with the full sized sledge.

kindling splitter

I needed something to keep the wood in place when splitting kindling. This is what I came up with so far.

IMG_5315.jpg

I may modify it later since it does seem to move around a little bit more than I'd like side to side.

I hink you would gain a lot more if you used an acme worm of a high thread count and a heavy garage door spring within a piece of steel tubing surrounding part of he spring (to make it safer to use) and avoid breaking the spring by attaching the sleeve to another sleeved female threaded collar to the wedge where it would return using the drill and spring or spring alone of it has enough tension and the worm is well oiled.

Using the high thread count worm and a nut welded to the worm and a ratchet or an electric drill IF possible to spin the worm down and the spring to aid in returning it to the top would allow fast repetitive splitting of kindling with a semi-automatic mode of return
with less work and bending. :rock:

Last edited:

Ed

...and add a round plate on the bottom, add several pieces of wood, band them together with a tie-down and just spin it to the next piece as you split one.

Back