Made in USA, Made in Germany, does it matter to you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but we have broken more rear handles on German saws than on the American made ones. It's a bummer to bust a rear handle...and expensive to replace if you buy the factory part, not one of the knock-off replacements. The off-white rear handle plastic seems to be exactly the same, but maybe not? :confused:

How are you breaking them?

How are you breaking them?

In amazingly stoopid ways...that make no "comparison" of German vs. American made possible (saws falling off the wood trailer onto the highway, saws not tied off well on a handline being sent back up the tree, saws thrown down in anger by bad, bad hired help...:cry:)

I was curious if the plastic was differnt...but in retrospect, i think the stoopid is different...bad things seem to happen to German saws more often! :laugh:

Aren't all Echo saws made in the USA ? I believe that they're made in Illinois, even though they're owned by a Japanese company right.

I think it might be obvious that I buy American all the time. I won't even hire a contractor that employs illegal immigrants, which is hard to find nowadays. So I wind up doing all the work myself most of the time, even though I don't have time to do it. Small projects just turn into multi-month or multi-year undertakings.

However, I wouldn't discriminate against a German model, or American model at that rate. I believe you're getting a similar product in both circumstances, as stated by other posters above.

No Immigrants on my team here bud!

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but we have broken more rear handles on German saws than on the American made ones. It's a bummer to bust a rear handle...and expensive to replace if you buy the factory part, not one of the knock-off replacements. The off-white rear handle plastic seems to be exactly the same, but maybe not? :confused:

The rear handles are a weak point on many Stihls, specially the hand guards on them.......

Ive had more than a handful of German Stihls, and Virginia Beach Stihls alike. I've always felt that the quality of both, were top notch. I always try to buy "Made in USA" when I can. I would love to see an American company manufacturing professional level OPE here in the states. I am thankful that a German company has the interest and dedication to manufacture here, and employ US workers who share the same dedication to the industry as the comany itself.

In 35 years of using Stihl, I admittedly have broken two rear handles. I will also admit it was due to gross and violent abuse, any saws rear handle would have broken under the same circumstances. Under normal conditions with a saw being used as they should I have yet to see one break or fail. One of the handles was the old mag handle on a week old 032 back in the day and the second was on a 6 month old 028. I was well under the age of 21 when both incidents occurred, age and maturity or the lack of was the biggest factor in the failure.

Back