ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Made my 1st order with you guys this morning, forgot to ask something!!

Discussion in 'WesSpur Tree Equipment, Inc.' started by eye.heart.trees, Nov 6, 2019.

1. eye.heart.trees

eye.heart.trees arborjunky

What is the etiquette for contacting Nice Guy Dave regarding 'nitty gritty' rope questions? I don't want to catch him as he's trying to leave for lunch or something lol, because my Q's aren't things that are simply answered (well, I'm *hoping* they are for him!), I've been making threads on arbor forums and even a physics forum regarding dynamic loading in the context of ropes, I expect it could be a 5 or 10min call (if he's kind enough to entertain my Q's, I know it's not some guarantee, it's just that the guy on the Climbing Arborist podcast I listen to seems to be saying that Dave's there happily doing this very thing so I'd love to speak to him, learned much from his videos on youtube when I was just starting!)

Regarding the order---- I'm a touch uneasy that UPS-tracking still says it's not received, but I know those systems are notoriously unreliable when it comes to updating-speed, but still I made the order this AM and was told it'd make today's mail, so if I'm being honest my 1st thing upon waking tomorrow will be eagerly rushing to the tracking-page tab I've got open to ensure my amazing order is en route (not only am I eager for the products in-general, but actually have a gig that I'm only able to do if I have a better bull-line so it'd be a major buzz-kill if there were any unnecessary delays, though with how great the service was on the phone my intuition is that it was shipped today & that UPS simply hasn't updated yet!)

On the note of the service from today, the lady that helped me was incredible, I was purchasing a few of the <100' clearance pieces of Polydyne and I had to call in a couple times verifying things and she was just awesome, I'll refrain from naming her as I doubt all the employees are OK having their names online lol but it begins with a D and she was just tops, I will update this thread when I receive my order and will include an un-boxing album (I know, I'm a dork :p ), so long as there's no 180deg surprises I think you guys will be my go-to retailer for the rest of the remainder of my career (excepting rare exclusives like the Safebloc, I need another one and seems ebay & sherrill are my only outlets for that) but, provided my order arrives as-expected, I'll see zero reason to bother 'trying out' other retailers and will be a Wesspur-loyalist :)

Thanks again for all you guys do, the clearance rope section was great for me I was able to get a 90', 1/2" polydyne and then a couple smaller but thicker polydyne lines, for my needs at the moment it will be a good setup, once I'm able to test the diameters through the Safebloc (got 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" polydyne lines in my order) then I'll know which diameter is best and will be getting a 200' section from you guys of that poly, was initially intending to just get 150' of 9/16" or 5/8" but now I get to test the diameters, get to have the 90' 1/2" for immediate usage (literally letting me get my biggest job yet next week as it's blocking-down a bunch of Oaks at a client of mine's, I couldn't do large enough sections of it safely with my current line but with the Poly I can!) and after that gig - which'll probably take a week as it's going to be me and 1 other person doing nearly 10 Oaks - I'll be able to grab 200' of whatever was most-practtical in the Safebloc and, well, some other goodies as my wish-list has grown larger than it should be ;D

Again, thank you sincerely for the service today, am eager to receive the order so I can officially be a wesspur-loyalist :D

2. eye.heart.trees

SO sorry I forgot to update this!!

A+++ transaction, will be using them again --- in fact with the 'value-created' by using their odd-length ropes, and the cheap metal thimbles ('rope thimbles' not 'rigging rings', though hold a 3/4" steel thimble and tell me that's not useful, they go up to 1" before they make a silly, non-linear size-jump, I think 7/8" or 1" ones are just 0.8lbs and even those sizes are like $10 max so....)

I spent a scratch under $200 IIRC and got (after my splicings)
    - 90' of beautiful 1/2" Polydyne, 11k ABS and 3% elasticity :D Spliced-in a '7/16-->1/2 plastic thimble' into it, the tiniest type available, so that it could - just barely - still fit through the Safebloc & Beast ring. PET chafe-sleeving for last several feet of working-end, snugged-up on the splice-throat :)
    - 75' of "5/8" Polydyne, quotes because it's closer to 3/4" with calipers/IRL, hate that ropes do the "nominal specs" BS like lumber does... Spliced a 5/8" steel thimble into one end, allowing me to quickly girth-hitch the cord itself (say, if canopy-anchoring a speedline) or to make a 'floating satellite anchor' basically anywhere in a 60' distance from the nearest anchor-tie-down location! Heavy fabric-sleeved sheath over last several feet of working end for when it's tied-to logs (am aiming to keep enough 'biners & nylon slings around that I can always clip-in my rigging line instead of tying it around stuff!)
    - a ~18', 3/4" Polydyne sling for my Safebloc, spliced tight (but not cinching!) into the p.dyne and with a back-spliced (Samson style, only *way* heavier taper to reduce thickness of tip) end, can tie this sucker anywhere :D
    - a ~15', 3/4" sling with a 3/4" steel rope thimble spliced into one end, and a locked&tapered backsplicing for very easy 'pass-through' when knotting it up (with the length of the (2) anchors I made from my ~40' of P.Dyne I can put the Safebloc or that ~30mm thimble as 'satellite' anchors anywhere, although the Safebloc sling is intended as my primary/default terminal anchor can't see why that's not 'a norm' by now :p )

Also got some Sterling 23kN nylon loops of various sizes, so with some odd spliced stuff I have I've basically got all the log-slinging material I'd need for small jobs without ever being tempted to tie my bull-ropes around tthe log itself, aiming to keep them in-service as long as possible (which is why I'm making such a diesel setup, the dispairty between the strength, and length, of the systems I can make isn't just random it's because I'm not doing large jobs I'm still learning so for my context I *could've* just gone with a bunch of the 1/2" - it's 11k ABS with 3% bounce after all, very very strong line - but the %ABS that a cord is subject to hurts it more, linearly, based on %ABS that's hitting it, ergo if you're rigging something down you should use your strongest rope because that's how to do the lowest '%ABS-stretch' insult to any of your ropes!)

With this setup (and some hardware like biners & lil pulleys for zipping), I should be able to do as much as I'm capable of safely doing and 'grow-into' it as I practice more (got a great Oak & woods out back where I practice :) ), can't believe I got (2) strong-AF cords (the 5/8 is a 19k line!!), (2) super-long anchors spliced all perfectly, and the loops I needed to have a full fledged heavy-duty setup to mess with! Only item I had for the kit, besides the loose Safebloc, was the 5' Notch 3-ringed X-sling on 3/4" tenex, but now that means I've got 3 anchors and 2 strong as hell ropes, and the nylon loops for running things in a way that'll maximize the line (and balance/control of the pieces!), for just under $200.....THANKS WESSPUR!!!!! My next order will certainly be through you guys (so long as it's not the Safebloc order, I want at least 1 more of those and it seems Sherrill/notch/treestuff is keeping it exclusive? Thanks to the 3/4" polydyne I got from your mark-down section I have a WAY superior Safebloc sling compared to the Notch/OEM variety, polydyne isn't just stronger tensile/static ABS than tenex is but it's WAY more dynamic, it's also thinner (both are >3/4 but the tenexx is even more over-sized) The jacketing on the polydyne is so tough you don't even feel much need for sleeves/sheaths, whereas with Tenex I couldn't imagine using it w/o a sleeve the stuff just pics so easily!)

20191122_184931.jpg
    20191122_185109.jpg
    [pardon the messy background lol!!]

For $200, and several hours splicing, I couldn't be happier (and already had the Safebloc of course but still for just under $200 when that's 90' of 1/2 and 75' of 5/8? SO stoked :D !!!

3. eye.heart.trees

I should add tags in case it helps google because that's ^ literally the *only* double-braided Safebloc sling in google-images if it's showing up properly (I searched for like 5min before doing the splice as I was curious how tight others were making the eye, couldn't find a *single* example....Upon inspection it seems Sherrill/Treestuff don't wanna sell you the Safebloc alone, only spliced-into their choice of sling (AKA tenex tec...), charging $180 for the bloc and forcing it as only in their tenex sling has to be a good part of why these aren't more widely-adopted, things are such ingenious devices am hoping to get at least 1 more (for basal usage) if not 2 more (one on the base of a tree, and 2 for double-safebloc-whipping something - am not a madman and not intending to go throwing weights I'm not ready for, am just working-up to heavier stuff, FWIW, don't wanna get the worried faux-concern ' be safe' comments lol I am sure I'm safer than 95%+ of climbers am OCD about it :p )