Made some firewood racks for the truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Made some firewood racks for the F250 Super Duty:

Cut a small load today but it is mighty hot, in the mid 90's.

8vyzk5.jpg

2ag2ofn.jpg

2z7r1tt.jpg

Yes you just can't have splits or rounds falling off on the road. Rated capacity of the truck is 3060 to 3945 #s. Wonder why there is such a variance?

Are those payload numbers for all F250s of that year, or for crew cab, longbed, 4x4 f250s? Since a base truck weighs less, it'll have more payload capacity.

Some real picture perspective optical illusion stuff happening there. One pic they look straight up & down, the other look like tilted way out at the top front.

Still nice looking though.

Are those payload numbers for all F250s of that year, or for crew cab, longbed, 4x4 f250s? Since a base truck weighs less, it'll have more payload capacity.

I just googled it and those #'s came up. Since mine is a crew cab with 8' box I suppose it is less. (It is a big truck)

Some real picture perspective optical illusion stuff happening there. One pic they look straight up & down, the other look like tilted way out at the top front.

Still nice looking though.

You are correct, it is an illusion. The rear window protector follows the contour of the truck. The racks are square with the bed and stake pockets. So my buddy made the transition between the two. He is a master sheet metal man and it is bent and cut on compound curves.

Look at the 2nd pic to see the racks are square, the 3rd is showing the contour of the cab.

I just googled it and those #'s came up. Since mine is a crew cab with 8' box I suppose it is less. (It is a big truck)

Of course the only real way to know your payload is to put whatever you normally carry, tools, etc in the truck, fill up with gas, and head to the scale. Subtract the number from your GVWR and you'll have the amount of weight you can load. As I understand it, you're unlikely to get a ticket unless you're actually over the GAWR of over of your axles, but it's good not to push the limits. It would be cool to spend some time checking the scales with an empty truck as well as with a full load of wood. Be fun to know how much each axle is carrying in addition to the total number.

Of course the only real way to know your payload is to put whatever you normally carry, tools, etc in the truck, fill up with gas, and head to the scale. Subtract the number from your GVWR and you'll have the amount of weight you can load. As I understand it, you're unlikely to get a ticket unless you're actually over the GAWR of over of your axles, but it's good not to push the limits. It would be cool to spend some time checking the scales with an empty truck as well as with a full load of wood. Be fun to know how much each axle is carrying in addition to the total number.

This summer I took some junk to the landfill and they scale the truck before and after. Empty weight with me in it, full tank of gas is 7800#s and I am not a real big guy.:oops:

Yeah, with a dry weight like that and the truck bring a 3/4 ton, your legal payload is not gonna be very exciting unfortunately. Apparently the new 3/4 and SRW one tons have pretty good payload capacities, but for a long time, a fully decked out 3/4 could probably only carry a face cord of wood legally. Or maybe less.

My old truck was kinda unique in that it could legally haul a pretty crazy amount of weight. F250, straight six, 2wd, standard cab, 5 speed. GVWR of 8600#, probably weighed about 4500# with a full tank of gas. I got pretty used to being able to haul a full cord of wood at once. When I went shopping for a new truck I realized if I wanted similar payload numbers but an extra cab, big block, 4wd, automatic, etc, I had to go to a dually.rps20180816_202402_558.jpg
I still gotta make some wood racks for it, but I can tell you one thing. The big block pulls that trailer a lot better than that 140hp straight six!

Looks great.

My new wood hauler comes with a ladder rack. Going to see how that looks once I install it and then go from there for sideboards.

Thanks. The rear window protector is homemade, I bought in on CL for $60. I was kind of stuck because all the commercially made ones have ladder racks and extend above the top of the cab. The truck clears the garage door opening by 1.5" and anything taller than the cab is a no go. This truck is 9" taller and 4' longer than my last Suburban.

Latest posts

Back