Mag Rot - How Far Is Too Far?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don’t want to waste my time and money, but also, saws are hard to come by here.

My aim isn’t to flip saws or make money, my aim is to become a great chainsaw mechanic so don’t mind spending if I am learning.

nothing damaged structurally (accept the AV mount recess)

would you chuck a couple hundred USD to get it back up and running ?

side cover is damaged by rot too, but not all the way through.

9EDB6A0B-C0A9-4400-BAF6-95DFB4D2D6EA.jpeg

Thanks mate! It’s a shame people are so careless.

Like I say- some that are more used to the "disease"might say it is okay- but I would not be bothered with it myself.
Some saps are just toxic if left inside the covers or packed around the cooling fins- usually stuff that grows in more tropical areas that what I might find here.
Some palm trees have silica in them as well- so you are basically cutting sand!

Like I say- some that are more used to the "disease"might say it is okay- but I would not be bothered with it myself.
Some saps are just toxic if left inside the covers or packed around the cooling fins- usually stuff that grows in more tropical areas that what I might find here.

All good mate, I appreciate your opinion. Yes absolutely, I have heard how much damage it can cause. I’m going to consider selling it as a parts saw or to someone not so OCD as me! Will just wait to hear from a few others and get a concensus!

$200- USD is buying $297- AUD, that should be enough to buy a decent running 034.
Yes they are about 350 out here (WA) in running (but that means nothing most of the time with the people I have been to haha, typically means scored to hell and zero compression). I don’t want a running one though lol. I’m only doing this to learn :)

Get some JB weld mate, and after a thorough cleaning of, acetone, heat, solvent, heat, acetone, heat, solvent, heat etc, apply it and build it up till you have a smooth level finish and have filled all the pits.
Some more of the finish may have to come off to remove the rot under the bubbled bits.
Quick coat of high temp paint, and yet another learning outcome ticked and done, and a useful case half restored.

Get some JB weld mate, and after a thorough cleaning of, acetone, heat, solvent, heat, acetone, heat, solvent, heat etc, apply it and build it up till you have a smooth level finish and have filled all the pits.
Some more of the finish may have to come off to remove the rot under the bubbled bits.
Quick coat of high temp paint, and yet another learning outcome ticked and done, and a useful case half restored.

I’m going to try this as the first port of call for sure as it’s a nice challenge. Going to find some of the metal jb weld

Buy a TIG and become a great welder too. Grind it, fill it, and smooth it.

I'm a tig welder but that's just
eek7.gif

Two years ago I cut down some Chusan palms: like Giant cedars they were all the rage back in the 70's and 80's and like Giant cedars they have become giant nuisances these days. That's what clamshells are there for: just pressure wash them afterwards. ;)
Never in my life I've ever had to file a chain so many times: those things were literally packed with silica, and I've been told those growing in coastal areas (sandy beaches and all) are somehow even worse. :eek:

Tons of fun for my metallurgist friends to make light alloy engines (read: plenty of magnesium) coexist with palm-derived FAME (read: bio-diesel).

Would it be worth buying a set of Farmertec cases for this rebuild? Presumably you will reassemble with whatever good components came off the "donor" saw.

That's what I would do, based on my experience with assembling and using MS 660

Their price for MS 034 case is about US $ 26
(It's out of stock currently, but you may be able to find one on the eBay etc.)

It is great value for the money.

3.jpg

I don't know... It looks pretty superficial from the pics.

I used to spend a lot of time around the marine environment.
Outboards and outdrives could be pitted like this and much worse and still hold up to harsh pressures.
If you have a spare or it's easy to come by one... go for it.
Otherwise, it can't hurt to bead-blast that little piggy and see what you are really dealing with.

Back