MAGAZINE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY GOOD MAGAZINES THAT CONTAIN REVIEWS ON CHAINSAWS AND MAINTENENCE TIPS AS WELL AS TIPS ON CUTTING? I HAVE LOOKED BUT EVERYTHING I FIND IS WAY TO GENERAL. THANKS

I can't offer much help on where to look for the "Consumers Reports" version of chain saw write ups. My advice here is to talk to some professional users and ask them what saw they like, why they like those features and how the dealer support is. Myself, I prefer Stihl products as I have been satisfied as I said above. Others in my circle of influence like Huskys for the same reason.

About the reference material, look in your phone book or call a local logging company and ask for directions to the local logging safety association. They always have one or two handbooks on hand about how to properly use and maintain a saw. As the requirement expands to have professional chain saw operators certified/qualified/approved/licensed (pick your local word), these safety agencies are the ones charged with that duty and will have all the info. They also sponsor courses for both novices and pro's.

You are wise to seek proper instruction. Most accidents with chain saws happen to those occasional users who are not familiar with the proper way to notch/cut/fall/buck. Just check the emergency room statistics after a long weekend in April or May. Hope this helps.

Tree Felling & Chainsaws

(The tree worker) a monthly publication from the national arborist association had an issue on tree felling about three pages I could scan & email or fax also (arbor age magazine) & (Tree care industry) always have articles on chain saws
Mike

As far as maintenance goes, Madsen's web site (www.madsens1.com)has enough information to make your head swim. A lot of subjects covered thoroughly by guys who know saws. I get smarter every time I check it out. I've also seen online chainsaw comparison sites that told us that electronic ignition does away with that pesky starter rope ( after all,isn't that what electronic ignition is all about?) and that I could buy a new Husky 394 for about $300 (WHERE!!!??? WHERE!!!???) I've found lots of info just by doing a search on chainsaws and surfing from there.

Back