Magnolia Tree: To keep or not to keep

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracieCA

Reaction score
45F7CE13-D64E-49B4-93C7-79210A804B16.jpeg E131377B-2D95-4011-BB47-EA087A379CF1.jpeg D576BCCA-D5A5-4E94-93CF-4A626156926B.jpeg We purchased a house about a year and a half ago. The front yard was an eyesore, half faded pink rocks, and the other half, a very poor lawn that was mostly weeds. Its only redeeming feature was a nice magnolia tree in the center of the lawn side.
We decided to remove the rocks and lawn and create a drought resistant garden. Knowing nothing about magnolia trees, we rented a bobcat and a dumpster and got to work.
The bobcat was useless on the entire side with the tree, as the root system is a tangled mess on the entire surface, which was revealed after we scraped the grass off—all we could do was scrape as the roots made digging impossible. They encompass everything, from sidewalk, to driveway, to porch. Nothing can be planted there.
In addition, we pruned the tree (ourselves) about 6 months ago due to the outer perimeters being dead from drought damage. I was concerned about the stress we caused, but it does have some new growth and a few flower buds.
Now we’ve damaged some of the root system with the bobcat, and will have to damage them further if we want to plant anything else.
I don’t know if it will survive long term, or if anything else will survive around it.
The side of the yard it is in is not large—about 20 x 25 feet.
It makes me sad to think about it, but are we better off removing it now? If it survives the trauma we are causing, can it be incorporated into our landscape plans?
We are at a loss on how to proceed.

I'd get rid of it. They are pretty for about 2 weeks out of the year...then after that are constantly shedding big leaves, etc...

As you have already discovered there is NOTHING that has a root system like a Magnolia Tree. They grow far, far away from the trunk and are so thick (in number) and tangled...that is nearly impossible to dig or plant or anything else. If you cut it down and kill the stump...eventually the roots will rot...but it takes a few years.

Magnolias are very messy trees with all the cones and leaves they constantly shed. If I was staying there for 10+ years or more, I would consider replacing it with something that has less maintenance and has less invasive roots on the concrete slabs that are so close in proximity.
Magnolias are also slow growing trees as well.

Latest posts

Back