Mail Order Sharpening and Computerized sharpeners Thoughts? Experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love how this thread didn't even have to devolve into a discussion of making money sharpening chains. Us poor novice schmucks that just want to pay someone to get a job we don't want to do done have a hard time getting a word in edgewise!

It's a free forum. If you do not like the responses, ask for your money back.

The key point is that 'the Franzen' does not sharpen the chain, anymore than a file, Dremel tool, Oregon grinder, etc. It is the operator who sharpens the chains, using one of those types of tools. They might do a good job; they might do a poor job.

Money becomes an issue because, in the experiences of the participants whom you asked, some shops focus on the number of chains they do, and how cheaply they can do them, rather than on doing them 'right'. Your initial post referenced the cost of sharpening, so folks were trying to give you some perspective on those costs.

Looks like I can get 7 20" chains done for the $50 not a bad deal at $7 each. . .
These guys look ok too: . . . .Bit more at $7.90 per chain. . .
. . . my other option involves either paying a bridge toll and driving to the nearest shop and paying the ridiculous rate of $10/ chain + tax for sharpening.

You asked for a recommendation, and you got some.

Lots of other good information, and opinions, in these threads if you use the 'Search' function.

Philbert

Still waiting for Temco to release a version more versatile than current model.

It's a free forum. If you do not like the responses, ask for your money back.

The key point is that 'the Franzen' does not sharpen the chain, anymore than a file, Dremel tool, Oregon grinder, etc. It is the operator who sharpens the chains, using one of those types of tools. They might do a good job; they might do a poor job.

Money becomes an issue because, in the experiences of the participants whom you asked, some shops focus on the number of chains they do, and how cheaply they can do them, rather than on doing them 'right'. Your initial post referenced the cost of sharpening, so folks were trying to give you some perspective on those costs.

You asked for a recommendation, and you got some.

Lots of other good information, and opinions, in these threads if you use the 'Search' function.

Philbert

@Philbert, you pretty much killed this.....not so sure I understand why. He was just looking for some insight on a chore he either doesn't want to do or hasn't mastered yet. I suspect there are some more of us that would at least like to understand the options out there and how good a job they actually do. Local grinders have destroyed enough for me to at least help me learn to be passable filing. Sometimes it might be worth a full fledged professional "tune-up" if that service exists.

@Philbert, you pretty much killed this.....not so sure I understand why. He was just looking for some insight on a chore he either doesn't want to do or hasn't mastered yet. I suspect there are some more of us that would at least like to understand the options out there and how good a job they actually do. Local grinders have destroyed enough for me to at least help me learn to be passable filing. Sometimes it might be worth a full fledged professional "tune-up" if that service exists.
OP asked for recommendations for mail order sharpening places, and he received them.
OP indicated a price sensitivity, and he got honest insight and concerns about some low priced services.
OP seemed convinced that 'computerized, electronic' sharpeners produce better chains, and he got some feedback and opinions on that.

He asked for opinions and 'wisdom' from forum participants and he received them. Then he got snarky, IMO, with the discussion he started with guys who took time to help him, or maybe because he did not get the exact answers he wanted.

I have no problem with guys offering mail-in sharpening services, and gave the OP a referral. All I asked for was that he share his experiences with that vendor in this forum for the benefit of others. As with your local services, some might be good, some might be bad, some might grind away half the cutter . . . .

Philbert

OP asked for recommendations for mail order sharpening places, and he received them.
OP indicated a price sensitivity, and he got honest insight and concerns about some low priced services.
OP seemed convinced that 'computerized, electronic' sharpeners produce better chains, and he got some feedback and opinions on that.

He asked for opinions and 'wisdom' from forum participants and he received them. Then he got snarky, IMO, with the discussion he started with guys who took time to help him, or maybe because he did not get the exact answers he wanted.

I have no problem with guys offering mail-in sharpening services, and gave the OP a referral. All I asked for was that he share his experiences with that vendor in this forum for the benefit of others. As with your local services, some might be good, some might be bad, some might grind away half the cutter . . . .

Philbert

I don't know who would have hurt feelings over anything in this thread. I appreciate the feedback and information that has been offered.

Y'all are more than a little amusing and informative along the way. What is to get upset about?

Sorry I came across as snarky I was just amused at how much of a greenie I obviously am and how prevalent the advice to learn to sharpen/ get a grinder/ good files . . . is. Anyway have been putting in long hours that is why I have not been in to read/ respond lately.

I sent chains in to be sharpened and will start a new thread when they get here with my opinions on the results etc. I do see the value in paying to have a job done right and mainly because it is too time intensive for my liking am I hoping to have someone else do the sharpening.

I do touch my own chains up and I am working on mastering filing better but when chains get trashed or after so many amateur sharpenings it is time for someone to do them right.

Hi fellas ,Here’s some facts, theres NO machine out there thats gonna do a chain in 6 minutes unless it’s 10” and you let it go around 1 time which will DEF not be Razzorsharp. Those who think otherwise are just dreaming and fooling them selves. I let each chain go around 2-3 times depending on how bad they are. There are a lot more factors in it than just putting a chain on it and walking away, WHICH I NEVER DO, cause anything can happen. I sit in a chair and wheel back and forth all day watching each machine. Plus you gotta learn all the tricks to those $20,000 - $25,000 machines and pray nothing goes wrong with them. They are great machines once you know them but they still are temperamental , like if your shop is cold or if the air gets water in the lines or if an adjustment has to be made and you gotta figure it out cause the service guy can’t be there for a month or so, lol FACTS. I have 4 machines now and love what I do BUT it’s cause the good lord above and having the Patients to do it correctly and giving our customers what they pay for and want cause I know what a dull wood eater feel like on a persons back all day , instead of just thinking about the $$$ I think of the smile thats on our customers face as he uses that Razzorsharp woodeater. NO I’m not getting rich and probably never will but like I said>>> I LOVE WHAT I DO, GOD BLESS✝✊

Latest posts

Back