Main Jet in Carb.???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew78

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone-
I have a question, I have heard from a source that the 460 has a main jet inside the carb that may need adjusting once I install the Walkerized muffler.
Does anyone know if this is true? And if so how do you adjust it??? Do the adj. screws effect this jet?
Any info would be of great help
Thanks in advance!!!

-Drew

Whoever told you that is a tool. The 460 uses a variable orifice jet. In other words a turn of a djustment screwchanges fuel flow. Wi the walkers muffler you will have to reset your HS and LS screw. I wouldnt bother with the walkers piece though. The stock stihl piece is better and will be cheaper as well.

bwalker-
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that the modified muffler from Walkers is no better than the stock muffler that came on the saw? I am curious, b/c everyone I have talked to has stated that an opened up muffler will help dissipate heat better and allow the engine to work more efficently than the stock setup.

If I have missed something here, please let me know....anyone....

-Drew

Ahhhh-
Ok now I got ya! Well as to doing the mod myself, I would rather not. Due to my complete lack of time and I do not posess the correct tools to accomplish this task I will leave it up to someone else. Which is odd, seeing as how I do most everything myself these days...

As for the stock cover, while I understand that the magnum cover will offer increased flow over the stock, it was my understanding that it was still more restrictive than it needed to be. My conversation with Walkers (john) was that he has done dozens of the 460 mufflers and they have it down to a science with the majority of the guys using the modded muffle saw being very pleased. More money? yes
But its also nice to know that I am getting a tried and true aftermarket part that will show performance and increase longevity of the saw.

-Drew

While I can not comment on the walker 460 muffler. The one I bought for my 260 leaves alot to be desired. It has way to much outlet area which causes the saw to run too cool and ultimately hurts performance. Besides the walkers mufflers also are unsightly, do not have spark arrestors and are much louder than a dual port mag cover.

Last edited:
Ben, Is it really you, or has JPS assumed your identity?-Typos don't usually get past you.;) So, some 'tool' wants Drew to take his carb apart to adjust a fictional hi-speed jet if he installs a 'loader' muffler?:p

Back