Maine GTG In Early Fall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it is stupid early to be setting a date for next year, but would the 4th week of October generally work for most of you? Early October is crazy busy here and the end of the month would be much more relaxed for me.

A yr out...I would say that would most likely work for me.....one weekend is pretty much the same as another to me. The only thing is the weather...the further away from summer you get the more likely you are to encounter bad days. On the other hand.....the cool days of fall are the very best for running saws...sounds OK by me...

Just curious..... how much further north is this alleged sawmill?

From Moss Man's..just about 2 hrs...but not north...about due east...right on the coast..about 12 miles west south west of Ellsworth....it was set up there in 1969....but the mill is much much older...a lot of flat belts....pretty low tech..no electricty involved once the 453 Detroit is running...probably one of the most notable things about this mill is that it's left handed...not many of those still around these days....that and it's capable of sawing up to 35' long material. It was set up to be able to saw boat cedar. Long as possible live edge cedar planking with as much curve as possible. Boat builders like it with a long swoop to it as that resembles the shape of the finished plank once spiled to the shape of a hull. Much less waste than using straight lumber. I don't run the mill as a seperate business anymore but folded it into my building contracting/cabinet shop. I use it when a "special' project comes along such as a mortice and tennon barn or home. Or just long one piece sills of the usual 7" X 9" sill stock needed in an old post and beam rebuild. Or even a cedar wood fired Sauna I built a couple of yrs ago for an old client. Pics to follow..

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of a project that came off my mill. Every piece of lumber in this building except the PT floor framing and the cedar roof shingles passed first through my mill and then through the shop for sizing. Then to the site for fitting. The walls are 6 X 6 native white cedar....no butt joints..or splices.. each piece is full length. Corner to corner unless interupted by a door etc. This project required the milling of roughly 14,000 BFT of cedar logs.

Here are a few pics of a project that came off my mill. Every piece of lumber in this building except the PT floor framing and the cedar roof shingles passed first through my mill and then through the shop for sizing. Then to the site for fitting. The walls are 6 X 6 native white cedar....no butt joints..or splices.. each piece is full length. Corner to corner unless interupted by a door etc. This project required the milling of roughly 14,000 BFT of cedar logs.

Cantdog, thats the nicest sauna I've ever seen!!!

Dude.

That is frikkin' BADASS.

What an awesome building. That's farking sweet!!! :rock:

what town is the saw mill i live 30 miles from ellsworth my in laws have a camp in mariaville and nice work wow

It seems that everyone is quite taken with this project so I'll toss out a couple more pics. This is of course a wood fired sauna...fired and controlled from out side. The building consists of three rooms more or less...the sauna room...the hallway with a door at either end and places to hang robes/towels etc. and the wood storage area. It heats up very quickly and holds it's heat for a long time. When I was testing it so I could educate the owner when he arrived...it could go from 60 degrees F to 145 degrees F in about 15 minutes on 5-6 pieces of dry maple about 3" in dia. It would then level out around 150 and remain there for close to an hour without adding an more wood. As I said every stick of wood except the PT floor framing, doug fir closet pole and ironwood dowels for the door slide bolts came right out of the woods locally and was sawn in my mill and processed in my shop.
Sorry the temporary hijack Moss...

Guys, what a great time. Thank you so much Moss Man for the great hospitality, Cantdog for the "bugs" and everyone else for the chance to run some fabulous saws and eat some great chow.

I just got a new computer and it was/is throwing fits all weekend, so I'm a bit late to the "after-party!"

I'll be back soon with some more pictures.

Cheers!

Bob

Lincoln is about 1 1/2 hrs due north from me. My nephew has a camp in West Endfield just south of Linclon.

My future in-laws are from up in that area. Kingman to be exact but they're spread out over Kingman, Lincoln, Chester, Enfield at one point, and I think Howland at another. Got a friend that lives down in Belfast too.

That sauna was very, very nice!

I haven't had much time to check the thread out with the pictures, but man it was a great time. Thank you Moss for hosting and also to Cantdog for the ride down. It is always nice to put faces to abstract handles on the internet. It was a very easy going group of guys, and that made the day even that much more enjoyable. There were tons of great saws, but Leeha's saws made me come home and peruse Ebay for a big old Mac and a better set of earplugs. :) I didn't run them though, afraid I would ruin someone else's saw.

All in all, it was a great time! Hopefully we can do it again next year if not before. Cantdog, if you need help cleaning up your sawmill, I am free labor. Well mostly free, but Ballantine's is cheap. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back