Maine GTG In Early Fall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some random thoughts about the GTG:
1) Leeha's big saws were beautifully restored and ran great. When one those babies was started, conversation came to a halt because we all wanted to see them cutting and also because they're really loud. Lee has a custom built box in his pickup truck bed to hold all the saws for transportation. The small wood was no match for the power of his (or Ambull's) saws. Those things are really meant to have the whole bar buried in a piece of oak before the engine really has to work. You can see some of the pictures where they are cutting three logs together- that started to put the kind of load on the engines that they were designed for.

2) MossMan has a great firewood operation set up right there. He showed us the processor in action and used the log truck to get logs positioned for cutting. Quick repair of a hydraulic failure mid-morning got us back on track. As usual at the GTGs, the host is very busy but it was great to MossMan at the log pile running some saws. The food spread in the barn was awesome, too. Again, many thanks to Cantdog for the lobsters! I'll certainly travel a little farther for a GTG at your saw mill.

3) Cantdog has a great collection of Jonsereds that run really well. It looked like 10-15 saws were present from his collection.

4) Woodchucker has some really fast saws. I still can't get over how fast the Solo 681 is! The 372 XPG is wicked fast as well but man that 681...Also, those were some nice chains. Like you said, not a full race chain, but mighty sharp and they left a very smooth finish on the cookie. No wasted power.

5) Thanks to Groundie371 for the chopping demo and the in-depth explanation about all things chopping. It's definitely cool to see how it's done.

6) Ducttape had a very strong, freshly rebuilt 2100 that cut like a demon.

7) PBs 562 was really fun to try out. That has got to be the smoothest (vibration-free) saw I have ever cut with. Plenty of power and practically no vibration. Definitely a saw to put on the list for "must haves."

8) Jack Walker had a nice collection of saws. Thanks for letting me try out the j'red 2139T with the Stihl PS3 chain. We tried some bore cuts with it and even with the "semi-safety" design, bore cuts are no problem. (I don't do bore cuts up in a tree, but it's nice to know you can!) I'm kicking myself for not asking to run the 262XP! Well, maybe next time.

I'll pencil in another GTG for next fall.

Thanks again to everyone; what a great way to spend a Saturday.

7) PBs 562 was really fun to try out. That has got to be the smoothest (vibration-free) saw I have ever cut with. Plenty of power and practically no vibration. Definitely a saw to put on the list for "must haves."

TK's :hmm3grin2orange:

im late to the after party as well.......

awesome time, awesome place, awesome saws, awesome guys! looks like next year ill bring the hand saws.

thanks to moss for the place and all the time you put into getting things set.

thanks to cantdog for the bugs, youre the man! very generous.

and thanks to everyone for bringing saws upon saws and letting everyone play. my whole collection is bone stock work saws so to play with the antiques and moddifieds was an experience.

bring it on next year!

So why am I being told that Ogunquit Maine has no rocky coast?? :)

IMG_6480.jpg

IMG_6441.jpg

IMG_6438.jpg

IMG_6431.jpg

IMG_6428.jpg

IMG_6424.jpg

IMG_6423.jpg

Wow those are some sweet pictures there Chuckah!!!!!!!

Nice camera work. Maine's coast sure is beautiful.

It's OK Chucka...I had to too!!! LOL!! Nice pics BTW!!! Glad you guys had fun up here. Perhaps next trip you'll have time to get up and see the "other" Maine. The last couple of pics of my boats in the harbor and sunset were taken from my cabin out on the island. Got Rocks???

Holy ****! That is some SICK scenery Robin! Sweet photos!

I gotta get up there. Wished we had the time this past weekend. I'll be back though, sooner than the next GTG up there for sure.

Ogunquit was beautiful but I gotta get further Norf!!

Damn Chucker, you need to head farther east.

P1010154.JPG

P1010155.JPG

P1010185.JPG

P1010186.JPG

P1010179.JPG

Looks like it might be in the vicinity of Acadia :cool2:

Good stuff guys ! :clap:

I brought a couple of extra screnches, but had no idea who was who or needed what, you shoulda hit me up! I didn't end up making any name connections until after the GTG and seeing the pics posted with names :bang:

I brought a couple of extra screnches, but had no idea who was who or needed what, you shoulda hit me up! I didn't end up making any name connections until after the GTG and seeing the pics posted with names :bang:

I shoulda asked ........ I just assumed you didn't bring them. I was one of the guys that wanted a shorty scrench. Sorry.

Awesome pics PB.

Like I said, I gotta get up there soon.

I've never seen the ocean before this past weekend. Seeing Ogunquit felt like it was a really rocky coast. Based on the photos you and Cantdog posted, Ogunquit really is rather sandy, lol.

Good stuff d00dz. Good stuff.

Back