Maintenance thread. What are you working on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to do some maintenance on a 223 Grasshopper mower after lunch. Heard a noise mowing yesterday and checked it out when I was done mowing and cleaning the deck out and found the idler on the deck is going out and I am going to replace the drive and deck belts while I am at it also. Ran to the city this A.M. and pickup the parts.

Bent the axle on my little 5x10 wood hauler trailer. Got it down to a carcass in my driveway with a new axle ready to put in it.

Forestry mulcher, bobcat t870 and Fecon head stuck 45 degrees down a hill towards a creek and 200 yards from the truck this afternoon. Chains and binders and come alongs and 3 hrs… time to get another machine up the mountain would have been much longer. When almost but not fully unstuck it threw a track. Long day.

Both saws up there today threw chains and got too chewed up to use. The box with spare chains got left at the shop today since only a few trees needed cut that the mulcher wouldn’t take down.

Some days

Noticed my Dolmar PS 6100 was not quite pulling like I had become accustomed. Then, after a lunch break in the mountains where I was cutting a year's worth of wood in a weekend, I couldn't get it started. I pulled the plug and it looked fine. Pulled the air filter, and it was caked in dust. Didn't have a compressor there, so gave it a couple claps and a leaf blower clean, and I was back to running. Got home and dusted it with the garage compressor. But, I got to thinking, maybe it was just time to replace it rather than continuing to clean it. I don't know, but for the price, I have a new one to run this weekend:

IMG_1031.jpg

The old one doesn't look too bad, but I assume I've air blasted the thing several dozen times, and expect the pores are pretty loaded. But, I admit, I don't know. How long do you clean your filters before replacing them?
Hardly a "work" project like some of you are sharing. But, I expect new found life in the big oak I have laying in the woods behind my house.

Back