maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conlo

Reaction score
I have just signed up as a new member. I have never owned a chain saw before. A frieng gave me his old craftsman chain saw. I use it to trim the trees around the house, which is only once a year. When I use it the following year, I have to to unplug the jets to get it started. How do I store it to prevent this?? It's a small saw with the blade sticking out 19 inches from the housing.
Conrad

This is a must !! Drain all the fuel out of the saw start it up, & run it completly empty.Lubercate the chain, so it does not rust on you.

Sonny have you ever run into problems with the diaphragms or seals drying out while in stg with know fuel? just curious.

I know I'm not Sonny, but I have never had diaphrams dry out in a dry saw. I guess because they are not exposed to air and sun like a piece of rubber lying on the shelf. I have re-started equipment that had sat for years and never had seals or diaphram dry out unless the carb was disassembled.:)

One thing that will help is to use fresh high octane fuel and a quality two-stroke oil with a stabilizer in it. My chainsaws never sleep but the string trimmers sit all winter and start right up in the spring :blob2:

Never ran into problems, As long as the saws are run out of gas. people sometimes think , just to empty the fuel out. You must run the fuel out. Sometime the diaphrams, might stick a little. But no problems. Not of as of yet.

I have never had a problem doing it that way either, I was just curious. Someone on another forum brought that up once. I always use the husky oil with the stabilizer in it nad have had excellent results.

whell i have never heard of diaphrams drying up if you store your saw wiht no gas in it but i have heard of your diaphram warping if you leave gas in it. and plus if you leave gas in it you will get the stuff that you need to refinish your dining room table - varnish.

Back