Making a chain loop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Usually buy loops but I figuire I need to start making my own since the guy I bought from is no more.

Bought a roll ,breaker bar, and spinner.

Breaker bar is easy enough.

Is there a proceedure on the web?

How does a spinner work?

Hi Don, I`ll see if I can help but I`m sure that others can add to what I`ll say. First, when using the breaker, make sure that you center the punch over the rivet and support the chain so there is no deformation. When forming the new loop, make sure that you use new straps and presets of the right pitch and manufacturer, sometimes there are minor variations, also make sure that the reliefs on the straps are facing down, or inside the loop. That`s pretty obvious but it may get missed. You have to ensure that you have the right anvil in the spinner for the pitch you are using and line up the wheels so that the chain is held in the right place relative to the spinning anvil and the tension handle. I usually set one rivet just a bit to hold the tie strap in place and then move to the next rivet, fully forming it, and then moving back and finishing the first rivet. Use some type of lubricant while you continually increase the pressure on the rivet as you spin but go sort of slowly on the pressure, you don`t want to expand the rivet so much that the drive links bind, then just spin the rivet down, using oil, until the head looks good and is at least flush with the others, not higher. The expanded rivet in the straps is what holds it all together, not the head but it might as well look good. If you just can`t get it right, it could be the spinner, I`ve heard some of them don`t line up right, but I know from experience that the Oregon, or the red ones Jeff sells, work very well. Russ

Spinner operations

I figured on how to line up the loop on the spinner but how do you form the rivet head completing the loop.

Does the spining action form the head and the screw end applies pressure through the shaft of the rivet??

When I tried it the loop twisted with the spinning action.

Also there are a couple of anvils for the spinner but they are not labeled in anyway. I guess the larger anvil for 404 3/8 and the smaller anvil for .325 and 1/4 ?

Don..to stop that twisting, I generally just put my foot into the bottom of the loop to keep pressure on it...for shorter loops, its a bit more difficult....you can end up looking like Rotax Robert trying to fit into a beer case...(seen him try)

Spinning rivest seems to be one of those third hand jobs. Most times I only have two. A while ago I solved the third hand by taking a pair of surgical forceps and bending the jaws open a little bit. By clamping on the tie strap the whole works is kept in line. When I spin, the forceps wrap up in the chain but everything stays aligned.

Speaking of making chains, that's one my agenda today. Rainy day and I wore out two chains for my 335s. Always a fun day cutting with a new chain.

Tom

Rain ? What does it look like?

Normal rainfall is 14 inches . Rained less than 4 inches this year and last time it rained was March.

It is bone dry here.

Actually I don`t worry about the chain winding up on itself as long as it doesn`t get a sideways kink or damage the cutting edges. Russ

Spinner and Breaker

Got it figuired out and works great.

New problem!

36 inch 404 063 chain. S/B 84 or so links so I took the Oregon chain I had and copied the same number of links and measured it and "looped" it and it is too much!

The question is ... should I take a tooth out and leave a few links or should I Leave the tooth in and make the one spot on the chain more than full skip?

If I take out a who link it is too short.

I am looping 63RS full chisel full skip.

don

Spinner and Breaker

Got it figuired out and works great.

New problem!

36 inch 404 063 chain. S/B 84 or so links so I took the Oregon chain I had and copied the same number of links and measured it and "looped" it and it is too much!

The question is ... should I take a tooth out and leave a few links or should I Leave the tooth in and make the one spot on the chain more than full skip?

If I take out a who link it is too short.

How much is a pack of links and where do you get them?

don

Bailey's should be able to set you up with links, etc. When you buy a reel of chain from them they will send those necessary extras as well.

Looping cutter question

36 inch 404 063 chain. S/B 84 or so links so I took the Oregon chain I had and copied the same number of links / measured it buy count not measure and "looped" it and it is too much!

The question is ... should I take a tooth out and leave a few links or should I Leave the tooth in and make the one spot on the chain more than normal teeth?

If I take out a whole link it will be too short.

Take out one link rather than one cutter. Many chains have an odd number of links and have a variation in tooth pattern. Makes it easier to find your starting spot when filing. ;)

If you have the same link count and the new chain is LONGER than the old one, you have two different size chains. Chain stretches from use, it doesn't shrink.

It's simple, when spinning a chain-loop the chain will tend to climb on itself. Just keep the handle turning and take up tension every two or three turns. As the rivet nears seating the chain should lay down and free up....a few more turns may be needed beyond this point. You can check how your doing buy removing your chain and bending it sideways to check for side play in regards to the factory rivets.

Update on loops

Made a 36" loop.
Holding up quite well.

Cost to do this?
Spinner $44
Breaker$44
Roll of 63rslf $300

Talked to Stihl tech support about loop

Told me the reason it may not match up is the rim Sprocket.

I am running a 7T and they said an 8T will take up the slack without shortening the loop.

Don

Back