Making a longer bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mweba

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There is a local old timer I keep in touch with that has a homie bar made from two. If memory serves me, it is close to 50". Have been wanting two things since I finished my 088, a longer bar and 3/8 pitch. So I figured since I just retired my 36" power match, would give it a shot.

First I tacked the two together. Made sure they lined up at the mating point. Cut them together so the mating surfaces would line up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have a bar on a homelite 330 thats been broken and welded back together. Not sure who did the work but it was done for my dad. He'[s had that bar on it for a long time and it does a good job.

Tacked the two halves together close to the rail to minimize warping. V cut in between the tacks and back filled.

attachment.php

Inserted a cutting disc into the guide rail to keep it clean and welded it up.
Ran her under the 60 grit wheel, trued the rails and good to go.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have a bar on a homelite 330 thats been broken and welded back together. Not sure who did the work but it was done for my dad. He'[s had that bar on it for a long time and it does a good job.

This goes back to a day that EVERYTHING was fixed. Nothing could be waisted. Unfortunately those days are long gone. Growing up on the farm I learned to think about repairs like this. Things had to be fixed on the go, machines down don't make money.

Finished product. 42 usable inches, 3/8 .063. I don't have a roll of .063 so off to the local Husky shop to count em out. I believe he has a buy one chain get the second 1/2 off. He should love me for this one lol.

attachment.php

I will finish the 14" .063 .404 bar tomorrow!

Thats a pretty neat trick, I like it. Give a man grinder, welder, and a little imagination, and anythings possible.

O yes and a thanks go out to Teddyscout for hooking me up with this 32" reduced weight guide. These things are great.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice job. I am planning on making a longer bar shorter. I want a fat 12" bar for my display saw so i am going to wack down an old 20".
I am planning on cutting off my 50" GB hard nose and adding a roller as soon as i can find a donor bar the same width...Bob

You did a great job on that bar. i know what you mean about having to fix everything. That's the way it was when I was young also. Still is for the most part I reckon. Everything we own has beads all over it. ;)

Dang Mitch, quit giving me ideas, I got enough to do already! :hmm3grin2orange:

By the way, good job!

Ha You aren't kidding. I got this in my head today and could not shake it off. Hate it when that happens.

Outbid on another 505 again Mark!

Nice job. I am planning on making a longer bar shorter. I want a fat 12" bar for my display saw so i am going to wack down an old 20".
I am planning on cutting off my 50" GB hard nose and adding a roller as soon as i can find a donor bar the same width...Bob

I have a couple hard nose Husky bars Mossman sent me awhile back, might play with them next.

Thanks guys. In all my reading on this site I had not seen this, glad to contribute.

this gives me an idea,,,welding 1 up for my wifes cs-310,,i think 48" should be long enough :chainsawguy::chainsawguy::hmm3grin2orange:,,,,it does look good,,did a good job on it

I think you brought back some old school engineering!:yourock:

This is now the official "MADE ME A BAR THREAD"!!!!!!!!

Ya, that husky looks sick with that bar!!!!!

From the weather report Looks like a good many of us will be busy this coming week! You sharpen the chains, I'll sharpen the hooks! LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya buddy, they are saying 60mph gusts tonight and tomorrow. Better rest up

I like it. Be interesting to see if it has the same strength as the rest of the bar. I laughed a little when I read that your oregon bar was "retired", haha comn the paint isent even worn off yet!:hmm3grin2orange:

Back