Making or buying springboards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isna

Logging and sharing it (teaching)
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
On an other forum (Bushcraft), someone asked where he could buy Springboards. I thought you guys could maybe help him out...
It also got me thinking: making some could be a fun project (I've always wanted to try). can any of you provide info on making the metal brackets that go on the end of a springboard? I think other bushcrafters might also be interested (and useful feedback will help me advertise this forum ;)!).

Metals406 makes great springboard shoes. I have a couple and they're first rate.
He's not on AS very much but there are a couple of other forums he frequents.
He makes a split tail as well as a square back design. Either one is good but the split tail works well on a quarter sawn board. The square back seems to hold better on a regular board.
2x6 is good but if you're fiddle footed like me a 2x8 gives you a little more room. I've seen guys with six foot 2x10s too but they're heavy and they're hard to jump in the notch.

I transmitted all this info. If he finds some, I might ask for details to make my own (I have a forge).
Calked boots are in order if ya plan on spending much time up on boards by the way, 5-6' in the air, dancing on a flat board covered in saw dust isn't real fun to begin with. Not real sure I'd try it again in rubber soled shoes.
maybe epoxy resin covered with coarse sand could create a grip (I did that on a skateboard when I was a kid).

Latest posts

Back