"Making" sights for saws that don't have them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye.heart.trees

arborjunky
Reaction score
I just learned about chainsaw-sights, so thankful for the internet as I finally learned how to properly use dogs & spikes however I'd never even heard of chainsaw sights, am going to be checking my units in hopes at least one has them but know not all 3 will (one is pretty bare-bones) so, seeing how they're essentially just physical 'yardsticks'/visual-indicators on the body of the saw, I should be able to draw/otherwise-construct usable sights onto a saw w/o OEM sights, no? Any & all advice for how to go about this would be incredibly appreciated, I'd always figured that to get near-perfect hinging/notching that you'd just "cut-deeper" by 1-5% so your top&bottom notching cuts 'overlap' each other, then get blown-away when watching videos of guys who drop a large section and I can see the clean stump-top showing how *dead-on* precise their cuts were!)

Thanks again, am very happy & lucky to have found a site like this :D Hope everyone's well, kicking butt & staying relatively safe!!!

(if it's relevant, my saws are - newest to oldest -
Scheppach CSP2540 top-handle (10" Oregon bar&chain / 25.4cc / 1.2hp / 11k redline),
Poulan Pro pp4218a rear-handle (18" stock but I've got 14" on it right now, 42cc, can't find a max redline but thing is currently hitting around 8500 at mid-tune, have *not* cleaned the air filter yet though lol so unsure how fast it'll get or how to even find out what I should be aiming for on the tach when adjusting H on the carb...)
Poulan "Wood Shark" rear handle (14", 35cc, should be dead but just will.not.die, my '***** saw' for testing things and the first saw I plan to try to modify the powerhead/power output)

If you really were hard up for some I could cut you some black vinyl strips that you can trim to length to put on you saw as sights

GetImage.ashx

That's right, if you feel some pain, you're cutting the wrong thang. Never used them, if I can't angle my saw to cut something, I don't need to be using one. I do like that laser scope idea, handle mounted for cutting late in the evening with a flash light also. Can you get a quad rail for one?

Latest posts

Back