Makita 2414 24" Circular Saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been looking for one of these for several years. I plan on making a track so I can cut straight edges on my mantels. Got it at an auction for $45. It can cut a 6X6 in half with one pass. I plugged it in to make sure it worked. The torque is unbelievable. Holding it with both hands, I just blipped the trigger, and it wound up in my hands. Can't wait to trim some Oak boards.20190618_194815.jpg 20190618_194758.jpg

That is a cutoff saw designed for abrasive wheels. Spins at a higher RPM than the makita 16 5/16" circular saw that is designed for cutting wood. Looks like it is still within the RPM range of the few 14" wood cutting blades I looked at. Had to do a quick search as I didn't think a 14" circular saw existed. Looks like bigfoot tools has started making one though. Take a close look at that blade. If it is designed for, and especially if it has been used for cutting metal it is going to be fun trying to rip a thick piece of lumber with it. Not sure how the gearing will hold up long term being designed for a far different application. For the price though it is worth a try. Be careful with that thing. Big old circular saws are as dangerous as chainsaws.

Great price.
It is a Cut Off saw. No guide on blade side so you can get close to a wall or use edge of wheel.
Makita makes a 16" "sidewwinder". I use a 10.25 Bigfoot. Max cut depth is only 3 5/8 realistically although the blades tooth tips reach 3 7/8".
It's great for ripping down milled planks. Problem is having Electricty power out in the field!

Great price.
It is a Cut Off saw. No guide on blade side so you can get close to a wall or use edge of wheel.
Makita makes a 16" "sidewwinder". I use a 10.25 Bigfoot. Max cut depth is only 3 5/8 realistically although the blades tooth tips reach 3 7/8".
It's great for ripping down milled planks. Problem is having Electricty power out in the field!
My new F150 has a 110 plug, but I think I read it was only 6 amps, the Makita is 15 amps. I haven’t tried to run anything off the truck yet.

Here are a couple pics of Bigfoot in action ripping 4x6's from a 16' cedar slab.
I get finger jointed primed cedar as my guide board as it's straight as an arrow, relatively cheap, and stable over the longer term. (also lightweight).
Two passes for 4x thickness with a 100' cord... the saw loads up with full blade use. A more direct power source would help that.

Sister slab left full width
49091817922_72cb57c289_b.jpg

49091616126_dd3f1c085d_b.jpg

49091102213_3b14a878f1_b.jpg

I have an old 15” Makita beamsaw. I’ve used both that and an old Craftsman wormdrive for ripping lumber after milling it with the chainsaw. They are much more efficient at it.

I have a relative new Makita 5008MG, it's an amazing tool for its price tag. Rips hardwood boards up to 2,9".

Same power as my Bosch worksite table saw. I would highly recommend it for those that don't have one.
RIMG0105.JPG RIMG0106.JPG RIMG0108.JPG

I have a 16” Mikita saw I bought when building a sips house. Mine doesn’t have enough pep to bury the blade in a 6x6 let alone a hunk of oak. Maybe my guys ran her a little hard and burnt the brushes but it sounds fine

I’ve owned that 16 ” Makita saw and found it seemed weak also. (in the '90s)

Otoh ....The 15amp mag77 worm drive is a classic workhorse.
This 10 1/4” Bigfoot saw feels really strong ...just gotta give it good juice.
Short Runs to the panel make a difference in keeping blade speed up.

At 240v down here, we don't see many on-site contractor tools above 10 amps. The HS0600 model I just bought is 15 amps in your hood, but our variant is about 9. I have some 18' long rips of 3" thick timber to do, that I was going to set my sawmill up for, but will find a suitable blade and see how this makita saw handles it.

I've been looking for one of these for several years. I plan on making a track so I can cut straight edges on my mantels. Got it at an auction for $45. It can cut a 6X6 in half with one pass. I plugged it in to make sure it worked. The torque is unbelievable. Holding it with both hands, I just blipped the trigger, and it wound up in my hands. Can't wait to trim some Oak boards.View attachment 742085 View attachment 742086
Nice score, especially for $45
I found a mint Makita power planer with the case for $40
Also a nice Makita belt sander with the case for $30

Yeah 240v offers some opportunities.
Keep us posted.... curious.

After flattenning the slab it was down to 2". After trimming, about 12' long.
It's Kauri, which is a very soft wood so not much of a test, but the saw didn't even notice the timber at all when ripping the edges straight.
My last encounter with a big circular saw was decades ago during my building apprentiship. Boss would pull out the big saw and hand it to me whenever we needed to rip anything or cut posts. That thing was an animal that demanded respect and would leave my hands and lower arms tingling from the vibes. So it was amazing to start this new saw for the first time. It's so quiet and smooth I think my little cordless is rougher to operate than this. Also lightweight for its size.Also, something I didn't appreciate when I bought it, is the end of the motor housing is dead flat, so I can rest the saw on that face when messing around with the blade or adjusting the bed tilt, or messing with the blade.

ripped.jpg

Latest posts

Back