• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Makita 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_NC

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had planned to turn this into a 7900 but with a 461 and 440 I just don't need it, and I doubt I would ever get around to messing with it anyway. When I bought it it was slightly scored, I had a decent 6401 p&c here and put it on the saw. It will run and the compression feels good, it does however have problems. To start it you have to choke it and then hold the throttle wide open to get it fire off. If you don't start it that way it will flood everytime. It oils ok and makes no unusual noises, but it does have starting issues. Powerhead only.
125 plus shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_20150927_210130680.jpg
    IMG_20150927_210130680.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20150927_210139495.jpg
    IMG_20150927_210139495.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20150927_210149249.jpg
    IMG_20150927_210149249.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20150927_210156589.jpg
    IMG_20150927_210156589.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 45
I had planned to turn this into a 7900 but with a 461 and 440 I just don't need it, and I doubt I would ever get around to messing with it anyway. When I bought it it was slightly scored, I had a decent 6401 p&c here and put it on the saw. It will run and the compression feels good, it does however have problems. To start it you have to choke it and then hold the throttle wide open to get it fire off. If you don't start it that way it will flood everytime. It oils ok and makes no unusual noises, but it does have starting issues. Powerhead only.
125 plus shipping.
Where in NC, Brian? Have been looking to go big - and this may fit the budget the CFO has given me, even if it is a little borked, especially if you are close, and it is something I could pick up. :) ---- I am in Fayetteville, work in Cary,

Thanks Brian this one staying in the great state of nc

I would be curious to know if you fixed this and what the problem was, my 6401 will only start when wide open and it's giving me fits to get it to run or idle properly afterwards. It's probably gonna go to the local shop tomorrow.

I was hunting an air leak, and have done the crank seals, and redone the cylinder gasket in this effort, but am still in the same boat?!

I would be curious to know if you fixed this and what the problem was, my 6401 will only start when wide open and it's giving me fits to get it to run or idle properly afterwards. It's probably gonna go to the local shop tomorrow.

I was hunting an air leak, and have done the crank seals, and redone the cylinder gasket in this effort, but am still in the same boat?!

Sounds like a carb issue but if you really think it is acting like an air leak, check your center case gasket

Thank you for your opinions, you are probably right. I wish I had a good carb I could swap onto it.

I ended up dropping it off at the local dolmar dealer, along with some donuts to hopefully speed up their diagnosis. I checked the carb over as best I could, but I'm pretty weak around them. I figured it was time to get a real answer from the pros...

I'm getting tired of trying or mill with a. 54cc saw while an 85cc saw is sidelined.

Will post when I have news!

Back