Makita 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary barton

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I am looking into getting a Makita 6401 and an wondering what the general consensus of this saw is. is it a good saw?

Yes great idea.
It had a good HD filter optional kit

It has the same chassis as the 7900 so you can add the 7900 79cc later IF needed (or the 84cc upgrade)
And uses 9mm mount similar to Husquvarna of you ever need/get a 395 3120 to mill with.

And there are some great dealers here on AS

They have an older engine design in they are an open port cylinder. Nothing wrong with this but todays latest saws are closed quad, piston port induction. They are great value and well built and share the same chassis/case as their bigger brothers 7300/7900. So good bolt on options for more hp if desired. The HD filter would be a good idea if used in milling application as the regular filter setup is not as good as it could be. As BobL says...not a saw suitible for big bars but for occaisional milling up to 20-25" it would work. If its sole purpose is too mill I'd get a bigger saw at least 90cc.

I have a 6401 and like it ,lots of power.
It is a bit heavy for regular cutting but since it cuts fast you don't have to hold it so long.
I have a 20" bar and it wll handle that easily.
Chad

Only thing I'll mention here is that there is another *strong* option for less cost. Echo CS-590, which is 60cc. I've been milling with it for a year now and it is great. New a good deal cheaper than the Dolmar but you can find them at much lower than retail some times. Someday I may well want a Dolmar but in the bigger size versions of it, but take a look at Echo too, which I think is just the best *value* you can get at 60cc. I also like the CS-800p or CS-8000 at 80.7 cc. I got mine for less used than the new CS-590. - Paul

Here`s my Makita 6401

i kmow its an old thread, but the video could still help someone.

Back