Makita DCS520

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Teuton

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a used, non running Makita DCS 520 for about $20. It turns over, the piston doesn’t appear to be scored and from I can tell the cylinder walls look good. Is this saw worth the time to repair and how hard are parts to find ?

Attachments

• 50065F95-B157-4C8B-A48F-2DE1F853C732.jpeg
    50065F95-B157-4C8B-A48F-2DE1F853C732.jpeg
    724.7 KB · Views: 38
Welcome to AS. You'll find lots of love for Makita/Dolmar round here. Your 520 is a pro grade saw so it's a great score at that price. Fixed up she's $2-300. Plenty of parts are online.

Welcome to AS. You'll find lots of love for Makita/Dolmar round here. Your 520 is a pro grade saw so it's a great score at that price. Fixed up she's $2-300. Plenty of parts are online.

Thanks I’m hoping I can get her running as camping/hunting season is coming up. She’s getting fire but leaking gas from somewhere.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
Yes it's worth repairing. Solidly built and a nice runner. Like a Stihl 026/260, just better looking. :yes:

New piston and rings are on the way. Pulling her apart tomorrow hopefully. Are these cylinders chrome lined or they safe to hone ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New piston and rings are on the way. Pulling her apart tomorrow hopefully. Are these cylinders chrome lined or they safe to hone ?

Never stripped one down far enough to know. Hopefully another Dolmar fan will chime in to answer this.
You might also try posting the question in the Dolmar stickies.

Yes. it's worth repairing. Solidly built and a nice runner. Like a Stihl 026/260, just better looking. :yes:
LOML took one look at my Makita 520i and said, "Do not ever sell this saw. It's the best looking saw in your shop."

p.s. She used to own a 1973 Plymouth Duster, Basin Street blue and black trim, with a 340 V8 that ran like a jack rabbit. So, I'm keeping my Makita 520i. BTW, it starts and runs like a jack rabbit also.

LOML took one look at my Makita 520i and said, "Do not ever sell this saw. It's the best looking saw in your shop."

p.s. She used to own a 1973 Plymouth Duster, Basin Street blue and black trim, with a 340 V8 that ran like a jack rabbit. So, I'm keeping my Makita 520i. BTW, it starts and runs like a jack rabbit also.

That’s how I feel about all my cutting tools

3c93255ab97fc924cdb1a99d991beb79.jpg

Both the piston and cylinder were scored, so I ordered a new piston kit and am going to hone the cylinder. I also found that the gasket between the intake and cylinder was bad.

Looks like a straight gas. overheated engine problem. I've fixed a couple of dozen saw engines with new piston and cylinder kits. Sometimes the cylinder can be saved, but that's rather iffy. It's usually worth trying because if it puffs smoke, you can always install the cylinder later.

Looks like a straight gas. overheated engine problem. I've fixed a couple of dozen saw engines with new piston and cylinder kits. Sometimes the cylinder can be saved, but that's rather iffy. It's usually worth trying because if it puffs smoke, you can always install the cylinder later.

The cylinder walls are good except for one tiny spot that should hone out

I would be very careful with honing, typically these cylinders were nicasil coated and that is not too difficult to hone off!

I reaerve honing as a very last step. Target the transfer spots with tge mastermind method. Once all the transfer is gone you can use a brake hone with 150 but only if its a closed port. And only in and out 2 times. Very eaay ro destroy a jug with a hone.

I reaerve honing as a very last step. Target the transfer spots with tge mastermind method. Once all the transfer is gone you can use a brake hone with 150 but only if its a closed port. And only in and out 2 times. Very eaay ro destroy a jug with a hone.

I believe these Makitas are open port

That is very little transfer and could easily be removed with a little acid.

Michael. if you get this saw to run again, you could either keep it or sell it to just about anyone. I have three saws in my arsenal that I acquired that way. I now have in my shop a Stlhl MS362 that is another candidate. The Stihl dealer could not fix it. I did. That's the way it is.

Latest posts

Back