Makita EA3500 review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The felt air filter. This one also shows what I guess is the coil and the wires coming out of it. I believe this is a limited coil - can anybody confirm?20200807_181159.jpg

Hello everyone, long time lurker finally decided to contribute something back. I recently picked up a new Makita EA3500. While doing some research I found there was much real world info on the saw. For the price I figured I would take a gamble. Myself I'm a long time saw user with significant chainsaw experience. Most have been with Stihl and Husqvarna. I normally buy pro saws but needed something a little smaller and lighter. Recently I have started building trails for dirtbikes. I'm cutting through heavy underbrush, fallen trees , small trees and such. Running a 50cc saw was just to fatiguing after 4 hours. I wanted a Stihl MS241 but there no longer available. I have a few nice top handles but don't like them for the ground work. I bought a Echo CS-310 but wasn't overly impressed. Even with a muffler mod and restrictor caps removed it just wasn't a smooth runner. Honestly there isn't much out there for a sub 10lbs powerhead that runs 3/8 lp chains. So that my backstory let's talk the Makita. To sum it up this little saw rips. I was very pleasantly surprised on how good this saw is. I will say I did remove the catalytic converter and tune it. Out of the box it ran good but put out a lot of heat. With the cat gone and a little more fuel added it pulls hard for a 35cc saw. Ready to cut with the 16" bar and full fluids it was 12.2 lbs, that was before the cat removal. Starting cold is fast one pull and it's running. Hot starts the same. It starts clean and there's no lag when cold. Saw rev's out quick with very little vibration. Cutting speed is good. With a Carlton semi chisel chain it cut the small stuff like a laser. I made a couple cuts through 14" fir and it pulled through it fine. I had bought a husky 435 last year for this type of work and the 3500 cuts fast. The Makita EA3500 runs like you would expect a ms261 or 550xp smooth and fast but not the same power lol. Time will tell how it holds up. I only have 5 tanks through it so far. There are a couple things I'm not happy with. The air filter is pretty lame, just a flat piece felt. The sprocket cover is very flimsy too. The rest of the saw looks well built considering the built in China label.
View attachment 834210

I love my Makita/Dolmar 32, best chainsaw in the world. "Lightweight", handy, firm and cuts better than my Husky 445. I dont care about the cost - it's just a better saw.
Plastic yes, if it goes to sleep? I buy another...
Love my 5150 for the saw horse, and my 7910 for my milling, but for jumping around the trees and branches in the forest - no better saw.
I'd say your choice must be somewhat of a luxury.

Thanks for the info @sdr . If you really want to see that saw cut get a Carlton N1C chain. It will outcut the oregon chain by 20%

Update on the saw. I have about 75+ tanks through the saw now. . The saw is holding up great and still running strong. It's been bounced around the back of my truck, dropped several times and used in very wet conditions. It starts up fast in any temps too.ff Only issue has been the grip above the trigger pops off once and a while. Had a chance to run a Stihl ms211 and the EA3500 out cut it.

I've heard Makita is going to discontinue there gas saws, what a shame. Im going to buy another one before there gone.

I guess you haven't run a ps420/421/4300.
I have a 5105 H & 7910 HD , so yep have run pretty well all the current Dolkita line up . Find that the 43 + cc class is to close to the 50 cc class . I prefer the lighter 35 to 40 cc class & economy price . I also have a pristine 346 xp , so as I said the ea3500 & cs400 are my choice currently in that niche . I would likely buy the Dolly 510 over the 421 , while they last , just my opinion bud !

Latest posts

Back