Makita EA6100PR or Echo CS 620PW Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiteboarder

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to buy a second chainsaw and I'm torn between the Makita EA6100PR and the Echo CS 620PW with the wrap handle. Both are similarly priced and seem somewhat close in spec. Both are carried by Home Depot if I order online. The Makita has a 1 year warranty and I do have service shops nearby. The Echo has a 5 year warranty. I'm not too worried about the warranty length as I'll be using it a lot in the first year and beyond, so any defects or build problems should show up early. After that, I believe regular maintenance should be enough.

I have an old 16 inch Made in USA Craftsman that's about 25-30 years old. It's an incredibly reliable saw. I still use it to this day. Recently we felled 3 really tall dead cedars and one oak with a base diameter of around a foot or a foot and half. All need bucking. I also have some oak logs are 18 inches in diameter that need bucking. Finally, I have to fell 3 more big oaks in the next year or so. I want something pro-level, stronger and bigger than my 16 inch Craftsman. With anything, I don't like to buy the bare minimum. I prefer spending a little more and buying something just a bit stronger and better than the job I have to do. Saves me time (and money) in the long run.

Thoughts between those two saws?

I have 2, albeit with the Dolmar nameplate. Great saws; reliable, easy to start, plenty of torque, and easy on fuel. I run mine with the 20" Tsumura light-n-tough bar with Stihl 33RM and 33RS chain.

Although the Echo is reportedly a great saw for the money...

I sold both my stihls and bought the 620 late last yr best thing I ever did saw is great never a single problem
Perhaps that worked for you but its hardly a recommendation everyone should follow. Both decent saws, I'd take the German 6100 reed induction saw myself but that's just personal preference.

Looks like I can't go wrong with either, though the 620 got more votes. I like the Makita name. I also like that it's made by Dolmar. The 620 does have a more support thanks to HD... and the longer warranty... but then again, the Makita shops are nearby anyway.

I'll think it through one more day before I pull the trigger. I do like the wrap handle on the 620. That's definitely a plus. I have a feeling the Makita is easier to start. However, I seem to not have a problem with any 2-cycle engine. You get to the point where you learn to listen to it as you're trying to start it and you learn just how much choke time, how much throttle to give it, etc. My son can't start my Craftsman to save his life... and I start it from cold in about 8 pulls.

A Home Depot down the road had used rental 6400 saws selling for $256 recently. When I got there they were 6100's in great shape. I wish now I would have bought one. I was after a 6400 to turn into a 7900 so I passed. I tell you this to check around and see if a nearby HD is selling some used Makitas. You can get online and look at the HD rental section. Somewhere in the used tool section you will find used tools for sale and it will tell you what HD stores have saws for sale and the price. It takes a few minutes to find the link. Another candidate would be the Makita 6401. I bought one not too long ago and it is awesome.

They will both start very easy. If you have a full service Dolmar dealer I would go 6100 over a 620 from HD. I voted 620 but if it's not coming from an actual dealer I'm swapping sides.

Haha. Understood. HD is not really going to put the attention a dealer will. I'm just looking to buy it from HD because I need it yesterday and I'll use 6 months free financing. That said, I'll compare prices with local dealers and consider buying it cash. Could be better even and save some money as well. I only looked up Makita dealers that would service that saw, but I'm sure there are plenty of Echo dealers too. Encinitas, San Marcos, Valley Center or down in San Diego area. All pretty close to me.

Latest posts

Back