Makita saws any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking of buying a makita DCS 520 20" bar. Are these saws any good? Are parts hard to find? Thanks Mike

Does a bear S*** in the woods? That is the answer to your ? Pardon the comedy relief!

The makita saws are dolmar, which In my opinion are the best saws you can get! The 520 is a great little saw my dealer loves the 520 its all he uses!

Makita saws are made by Dolmar. They're good saws, and usually great bang for the buck. I have a 520i that is really satisfying to run. So far no problem buying parts, but I've only bought parts for the fuel system. I think they made these saws 'til just a few years ago.

Ma

Dolmar made the first one man gas chain saw I believe... German made good quality saw.. The diff between makita and dolmar is pretty much just the color of the saws..

Makita = Dolmar. Are Dolmar saws any good? I've seen alot of problem threads on the 5100, case porosity problems, them using a paint on the inside of the case to seal them, then paint coming loose and plugging stuff up. I dunno, I can't afford one anyway. I believe they are genuine hot rods, don't know about longevity.

Makita = Dolmar. Are Dolmar saws any good? I've seen alot of problem threads on the 5100, case porosity problems, them using a paint on the inside of the case to seal them, then paint coming loose and plugging stuff up. I dunno, I can't afford one anyway. I believe they are genuine hot rods, don't know about longevity.

A lot of the 5100 stuff was unproved, but as every saw they may have had some bugs that needed worked out. As far as DOLMAR they are the best IMO with out a doubt saw I have ever ran with husky a close tie!

Thats my opinion some will disagree but it doesnt really matter !

Almost all of the Makita chain saws are made by Dolmar. If it says DCS on the model number, it means Dolmar Chain Saw.

Still made in Germany and one of the best saws made, IMO. Been building chain saws since 1927.

The 5100 is the only one that I have heard of with issues and a lot of that seems to be unproven.

Makita dolmar the best of the best to h##l with the rest

I wouldn't go quite that far... I used to own a 7901.. Awesome cutting saw no doubt.. Feels pretty good too. I just had problems getting parts in the PNW... Running it next to one of my 372's I actually preferred the 372 although its probably just because its what I am used to. Also its really nose heavy with a bigger bar.. I wish the top handle was a little further forward.

Recently bought a Makita 6401. I've used alot of top brand saws and it's right up there. It will also come to your door which is way cool if you don't live in an area with good saw shops. Saw was also $100-$200 cheaper than similar saws. So far so good. Good luck!

Thinking of buying a makita DCS 520 20" bar. Are these saws any good? Are parts hard to find? Thanks Mike

It is a fine saw. It is outdated by todays standards but a decent preforming 50cc saw. Do a search and you will get plenty of opinions and information.

I have a 7900 also. When new it seamed to flood real easy Mainly due to me not being able to see when the on/off switch was actually on. LOL. On mine, the first time I flipped the bar, it wasn't oiling the chain. I thought oiler went bad. Turned out the oil hole in the bar was painted shut. Other than that, no problems.

It now has a 24'' Sugi Hara bar and let me tell it flat out cuts like a lazor beam.

Back