Man, that's nice! First fire of the season!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, the remains of Hurricane Ernesto paid us a visit. No real wind, but a good, long, soaking rain. Been dripping more than 24 hours now, streams are full (and then some) the grass is happy again, and the summer heat is GONE.

Good excuse to fire up the woodstove! Got some oak going, with some small pine stuff for kindling. Sure love that smell!

BlueRidgeMark said:
Well, the remains of Hurricane Ernesto paid us a visit. No real wind, but a good, long, soaking rain. Been dripping more than 24 hours now, streams are full (and then some) the grass is happy again, and the summer heat is GONE.

Good excuse to fire up the woodstove! Got some oak going, with some small pine stuff for kindling. Sure love that smell!

You have got to be the FIRST person to have a fire going this season! :bowdown:

It's a little too early for me here in Jersey, but I sure am looking forward to my first of the season. Got some bone dry thin split oak ear marked for it.

Tom

Ive already had several fires in my stove on the chilly nights. Just enoughf locust to take the bite out of the house and bring the mercury up to 72 . its great to come out of the shower and stand by my trusty warm stove again! And who cant miss that smokey smell of a stove burning all summer long.

Thar she blows.....

Gotta crank it all nite to get coals ready to cook a pork roast fer 2 morrow[br]
firepit8resized.jpg

[br]Yea i know it needs some work haha

Im thinking about having a small fire. I just fixed and reinforced my new baffle for my wood furnace, new flue pipes, and swept my chimney. Oh yeah I also put all new firebrick in. Im ready for this year.

1CallLandscape said:
Just enoughf locust to take the bite out of the house

How do you like that locust? I've got a little bit here. I've heard good things about it.

I love black locust it think its alot better than any oak. It burns real hot real long. I've got some stuff that has seasoned standing dead for 30 years according to the customer, whos house i cut it from. i dulled 12 chains cutting up 2/3 of a cord!!!:jawdrop: If you hit it with a hammer it sounds like a steel beam!
A 6" x 16" log burned for 12 hours last night on 1/2 draw

Locust can be burned green once you get a hot fire going. where im from its a quite common tree and we cut ALOT of them! So needless to say ive got alot of locust! Take a look at the link below it was taken this spring and was 18 cords of wood ( 99% of it is locust) the pile has since doubled

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35175&d=1150512204

I like to compare locust to coal. In the morning you will have a nice coal bed to refresh the fire with. Also another good wood, maybe even hotter than locust is osage orange, both are good stuff! I use locust for night time.

Nice pile of wood! I'm still getting mine in, a pickup load at a time...

Almost all of it is already quite dry, though.

laynes69 said:
I like to compare locust to coal. In the morning you will have a nice coal bed to refresh the fire with. Also another good wood, maybe even hotter than locust is osage orange, both are good stuff! I use locust for night time.

Darn right, osage is awsome firewood, as is locoust, sasafrass (like locoust) and my personal favorite, Beech. Way too early to fire up the fireplace here, still in the 70's day and low 60's nite. had a/c on again today, well, haven't shut it off yet this year. No way am I thinking about a fire yet!
-Ralph

Came close to firing up the stove the other night. It was 33 degrees that morning, -very- cool that evening. Wife wanted a fire but I decided on the oil furnace. I new that the stove would drive us right out of the house...well, doors and windows would be open. I have a stack of half punky wood in the 'shed that I plan to use for the first fires as it shouldn't make for a long lasting fire.

Really looking forward to the brush burning this winter when there is a bit of snow on the ground. I just finished cleaning up after my last tree, that makes 3 huge and 2 medum size piles all within about a 150 ft circle. Then there are several others further away, I figure a minimum of 2 trips to take care of all of it.

Harry K

fire

It 7:30 am here in mass on 8/3/06 and iam starting my first fire of the season. its cold and raining out nothing to do for the holiday weekend so me and the woman gonna snuggle up and enjoy the day in with our wood stove up and running.:hmm3grin2orange:

Give it another couple of months and we'll soon be seeing the first signs of CABIN FEVER.

I notice a lot of guys get all whacko during the cold, icy cold, dreary, black and white lansdscaped winters where even the trees look like death on a stick, ya 2 pair of sox and long johns aren't keepin ya warm ... like being stranded in some remote wilderness documentary on the psychological depressions of CABIN FEVER.

Oh how you'd love to have an arctic saw handle now.

Not only better you start stacking that wood but also ya coin coz it's a long haul thru that season.

Good luck, I'll keep an eye out for the symptoms and let ya know .... they creep up on ya like a frost.

Never had the opp. to burn osage. I agree begley, Beech is an awesome wood to burn, toughf to split though. I also burn alot of Tupelo , a real swamp loving wood. very gnarly to split and is better in rounds. burns hot and long cause of the weird grains and knots. I just delivered 4 cords of oak/maple/locust today to a customer and still have 20 cord to go for selling.

Met a guy a few weeks ago who claims he sells TWO THOUSAND cords a year, and gets $275 a cord. Do the math.

:jawdrop:

He sells entirely to restaraunts in VA, MD, and NC. Anyplace that advertises "wood ovens". He's finding the current fad of wood fired pizza places to be very profitable. Does a lot of hickory for barbeque places, too.

It's him and two helpers. Even if he's making only a 15% margin, that ain't too shabby!

sloth9669 said:
It 7:30 am here in mass on 8/3/06 and iam starting my first fire of the season. its cold and raining out nothing to do for the holiday weekend so me and the woman gonna snuggle up and enjoy the day in with our wood stove up and running.:hmm3grin2orange:

Pace yourself, Sloth...it's going to be a long winter...

Latest posts

Back