Man, that's nice! First fire of the season!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only gets down to mid- 40's (farenheit) for evenings here now. Good sleeping weather ('bout time!). Won't fire the stove until November or so. Don't want to cook the family out of the house.

Last weekend my daughter (age 7) wanted me to start a fire....I thought she ment outside in the chimminea so I said sure...then she corrected herself and said inside.

OH NO.....Not yet sweatheart... Even w/o the heater on, the house was still 72 degrees.

It will be November here before the fire place gets lit.

Wood wise - I like oak and honey locust and mulberry. All three very good. I have too a nice pile of pecan. Im hoping to get that to a bbq joint somewhere. maybe trade for some brisket! YYYYUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMM :rock:

8/3

dr that fire was more for show then heat...ment to heat the woman up more then the room if you catch what i mean....just a cool rainy day that we stayed in all day......i was a happy sloth:cheers:

We had a brief fire a few nights ago when it got cold. Wood heat is so inviting compared to forced air. :) I was burning locust also, a bit of leftover slabwood. That and beech are my favorites, They seem to be the cleanest burning out of the mix of oak, maple, birch, beech, locust and occasional ironwood.

1st fire

Had my 1st fire yesterday.52 degrees rainy,and the log house was cool and damp.It was great to sit in the chair and enjoy the hard work of a couple of summers!Can't wait to turn on the heated handles on the saw!Never had that luxury!Hunting season,wood stove,and a good woman,can't be beat.
Ed

First one this morning. Up at 6:30, check of thermometer, 40 degrees, wind going about 20 mph, predicted high of 60. Yep, time to fire it up. Sitting here now with it turned down but nice heat on my back.

Cleaned the chimney yesterday. Usual small collection of dry powdery creasote, no hard buildups. Worst part of the job is digging out the stuff that falls down the chimney while cleaning. It all collects in an EL on the back of the stove and I have to reach trough the firebox and scoop with my hand. Usually end up looking like I cleaned the chimney by climbing into it.

Harry K

treeguy347 said:
Isn't chimney cleaning fun? Do you guys use poles with the brush or two ropes?

Mine is a 7", for the room end, and a 9", for the triple wall insulated, brushes plus 3 lengths of 3/8 or 1/4" pipe (not sure) as rods. Roof is a mild slope and only a short climb on the backside so that part is fairly easy. Usually have more trouble getting the chimney cap off than anything as the creosote tends to cement it in fairly well.

Harry K

I have an exterior masonary chimney, tile lined. I use around 45 feet of rods to sweep mine. I climb 2 ladders to get to the roof, and away I go. Not too bad of a job, saves alot of $$$.

Welp................ I thinks I mighta gots just a bit ahead of myself!!!!! It's 32 out so I got the Buck going tonight, four good sized chunks of hedge later, I no have the living room windows open and it's still 87 in the living room and I have the damper open!!!!!
Going to be a rough winter!!!!
Andy

Had 6 inches snow here Oct. 9- a record in this area. HAD TO start up the old Fisher woodstove. Temps in the 20's. Thinkin "Is this gonna be a really long winter"?. Whoops, do we have enough wood?
'Tis better to have wood in times of no money than have money in times of no wood'. (With apologies to some folks in the 60's).

We've had a few fires in the stove the last few weeks. It's gotten down into the low 30's a few nights already. It's also been cold and rainy. I can hardly wait for 'ole man lake effect to start. It got cold real early, might be a long winter this year! :(

Priorities ?

314epw said:
Hunting season,wood stove,and a good woman,can't be beat.
Ed

In order of priority ? :hmm3grin2orange:
We have got a problem here. :heart:

Latest posts

Back