Manlifts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the tree guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have any of you had a chance to use a manlift and what do you think of them?I've been thinking about maybe getting one.I've looked at groves,jlt ,genie and markel.Ive never owned a bucket truck or other type of lift,most of the removels I do are on the lake fronts or the places buckets can't get to.Mostof the manlifts are almost too wide to get into tight spots.I'M 1 OF 3 climbers in our area,but I am done after this year and was thinking about some kind of lift.Any input good or bad will be alot more than I know now.Thanks,:D Dan

There is an outfit in town that uses the PoleCats, but they basically do palm trees and parking lot elevation for their commercial lawn business. Rather limited potential, but it works for what they do. Besides, I doubt they could keep a qualified climber on staff with that type of work- too boring!:dizzy:

Great for sm jobs, where access is limited. As in sm trees inside apt. complexes & such.Pretty limited use. I would look at how mush you would be using it.But if you can find a deal on one that you can afford , go for it. Many times we could of used one.

I've looked recently at renting an articulating manlift from United Rentals. They deliver and pickup, and the lift itself seems pretty manouverable - better than my International 1900 was.

To buy one, can't offer much assistance, but if you are using it in any soft footing soil, get the 4x4 model.

The July issue of Arbor Age magazine has an Eagle by Ameriquip on page 15. Self-propelled articulating buccket on tracks. It looks pretty cool for back yard work. Only 35.5 inches wide. 40 foot working height, hydraulic outriggers. Its called the TRAX-40. Call for info - 1-800-824-9776.

I like the eagle-47, it is still light enough for two three guys to manhandle and the outriggers are powered. Around $25K new.

The Trax is pretty heavy, I'ld want to try it first.

I have used anumber of the little lifts. They are a B-itch with manual out riggers. Sucks to move, and the batery powered ones need to be plugged in every six hours.

I've also used the Terex TB-60. great for level hardscape. But does not articulate. SP from the bucket is great. I could move around at 60 ft when doing DW over service road. Kinda scary at first!

Rent a few to see waht you think. Small units run around $100/day.

Thank guys, I did look into renting the size I wanted but it was going to cost $ 350 per day for a66 foot lift.Buy the time Igot the job bid figured there was no way I was going to get the job so I still didn't know anymore than when I started.Ithink I want deisel and a 4x4 but height wise I'm thinking 65 to 80 feet .that will cover 85% of the trees I do.how much height do you guys use?COST WISE I'LL try to get a used one for(I hope, I hope) under 12k.I can pay for it in a years time baring any break downs or unfoerseen problems.your input id GREATLY APPRECIATED. :D DAN

Well, Dan, in my book there is a major difference between a manlift and a bucket truck. Manlifts are smaller portable units, usually trailered. The last bucket truck I bought was a new 2000 International with an Aerial Lift of CT AL-60/50. For a new 4X4 of this model, you're looking at nearly $100K! The only thing you'll find for under $12K will be garbage. Don't waste your money on it. Use the 12,000 to make a down payment on the best truck you can find. If you buy cheap, you'll spend much more in repairs and down time. I know from personal experience. I'd also be very careful buying from these bucket truck brokers. They usually just slap a coat of paint on it and sell it for 3 or 4 times what its worth. :angry: Also personal experience.

Back