• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Maple sap/syrup season

SS396driver

SS396driver

To much wood
I tapped my trees earlier this week . Sap seems to be running but not like it should be. Guess it's just been to warm. Hopefully we get a cold stretch for a couple of weeks but thats doubtful .

Last year I ended up with about 4 gallons of syrup. Hope I get at least two . 20190325_100330.jpg In this picture you can clearly see the difference between first and last run . Light is the first run
20190325_101454.jpg

crowbuster

crowbuster

ArboristSite Guru
Good luck. Decided not to fool with it this year as saps been up most of the winter. Tapped a couple trees for the maple water as my wife and some friends love to drink it.

EchoRomeoCharlie

EchoRomeoCharlie

ArboristSite Guru
I'm planning on taking this year off as well.

I have quite a bit of tree work for family members that needs to be done early this spring as well as a brand new baby a few weeks ago. Just won't have the time to dedicate to syrup.

Plus, I have enough syrup in my basement right now to last me probably 5 years.

motorhead99999

motorhead99999

Jeepin tree man
We use to run 3-4 hundred taps every year. Use to make 25-30 gallons of syrup and sell a bunch of sap to a guy in Vermont. Haven’t taped a tree in 7 years. Now a lot of people just sell sap around here. I haven’t seen any taps in yet though

Marshy

Marshy

285 Killa
The trees are already budding out. It's been a weird winter and like crowbuster said, the sap has been up all winter. My neighbor has a good sides operation with 3300 taps this year. They have been in for about a week now. I'm hoping he can make it worth his time.

92utownxh

92utownxh

ArboristSite Operative
I keep seeing facebook memories from last year showing all the taps we did. The sap was running out of the trees as I drilled the hole. This year the weather is just too warm and weird down in southern Indiana.

babybart

babybart

ArboristSite Guru
Heck, I noticed yesterday the Daffodils are up about an inch and a half let alone the budding maples. At this rate I'll be cutting grass in March.

babybart

babybart

ArboristSite Guru
I wish for snow! This year I would be happy if it would stay in the 20's for a week. It hits about 30 at night and then 50 during the day, ground turns to slime. Was a nice sunny weekend in the 50s, dry, and now rain today and cold the next couple.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
Spring has sprung down here. The clover is knee deep and blooming. Elm and water oaks are starting to bloom out with new leaves starting to pop. Mosquito hawks are starting to fly around and the robins are starting to show back up on there way north. It's happening already down here.

cuinrearview

cuinrearview

Red saw lover
We're trying our hands at syrup this year. We put ten taps in five big yard trees on Sunday. Same setup as OP, red buckets and all. Almost every hole had sap running before I got a tap pounded in. When my GF got home from work yesterday(about 26 hours since tapped) every bucket(we ran both taps to one bucket) but one was running over. She transferred to a 30 gallon barrel.We have over 25 gallons of sap in there and she said just now most buckets are half full again. The temps are dropping and none to soon. We don't have another barrel. I had figured I'd be happy with ~20gallons to boil by the weekend and make a couple quarts of syrup for our use. I had no idea ten taps would produce that much!