Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Maple Tree: Sugar vs. Silver

Discussion in 'Nursery' started by Cody, May 13, 2018.

1. Cody

Cody ArboristSite Guru

In the past few years, I've planted three types of Maple trees around the house. One's a Crimson, one an Autumn Blaze, and the other a Fire something. I had to remove two Birch trees due to Birch Bore a year apart, and would like to plant either a Sugar or Silver maple in the front yard to replace them. The Silver's that I'm able to get right now are rather well established as far as leaf volume goes and that is rather appealing. The issue that I'm seeing is the tree is going to be planted around 14-15' away from the foundation/basement walls. While I doubt I have issues with the root system in my lifetime, I don't want to pass that issue on to someone else either. Is this something I should be worried about, or is said distance going to be alright?

2. buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer Addicted to ArboristSite

Western border of mid-southern northern WV
    14' - 15' sounds way too close for a silver maple or anything bigger than a small ornamental - imo.

3. hitoppa

hitoppa ArboristSite Member

ditto...don't plant a Silver maple that close (no large growing tree that close and if you plant out farther, plant the Autumn blaze which is a Silver maple cultivar, has great fall color unlike the standard Silv. maple and stays much tighter in canopy thus less storm damage. Great tree with interesting leaf shape and tree of the year a few years ago.

Cody and buzz sawyer like this.
  4. Marine5068

Marine5068 Addicted to ArboristSite

I just cut away trees that were too close to my house. I don't like any large trees closer than 50 feet from the place.
    Too much risk of them dropping on top of the roof.
    When it comes to planting near the house, I would make sure you are at least well past the canopy spread of any large tree when placing on your property.

5. Bobby Kirbos

Bobby Kirbos Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs

6. Cody

Cody ArboristSite Guru

I actually viewed that thread in researching Silver Maple's. I just can't imagine this tree ever growing that large in my lifetime, and it will be maintained every year. It's probably all of 8' tall tree I'll be planting. I wish I could find a well established Crimson, I'm falling in love with the one we planted in 2016.

I really don't want to go on a rant here, but I really wish people understood that yard tree's need attention periodically.

7. Marine5068

Marine5068 Addicted to ArboristSite

They do grow very big.
    We cut one down a few years back and it was a monster.
    Big Silver Maple.jpg

Duce and Cody like this.
  8. Bobby Kirbos

Bobby Kirbos Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs

Not a rant. I totally agree. In the case of the maple that I took down - the house belonged to my mother/father-in-law. My wife's sister and her husband bought the place from the parents about 4 or 5 years ago. Landscaping has been a constant argument with their mom over the years, even before they bought the house. Their mom doesn't understand that after some time the plants outgrow the space and need to be replaced with new plants that suit the space better. I think this was the case with the maple that we took down. It was quite large 13 years ago when I trimmed off some of the lower branches that were either dead or were forehead catchers. In reality, it probably should have been taken down then, but the mother-in-law....

Cody likes this.
  9. sgbotsford

sgbotsford ArboristSite Lurker

Silver maple grow fast, and can get quite large. They are also water pigs, so if you have clay subsoils they will suck the clay dry in dry summers. The shrinkage/expansion of the clay is often what cracks foundations. Recommended for parks and estates. Usually get too big for a residential yard.

They also have a rep for weak branch connections, although no worse than Manitoba Maple (box elder)

I don't get really concerned about big trees falling on the roof. I did a google image search for such, and while falling trees damage roofs, I only saw one where I wouldn't want to be in that room. And that one was a big tree felled by a hurricane. This is what insurance is for.

My rule of thumb: Root plate trees (no major tap roots -- spruce and poplar come to mind) Avoid having the tree overhanging the house. Tap root trees (oak, sugar maple) 1.5 times that.

If the OP is in love with maples, I'd suggest a tree form amur maple, or Hot Wings tartarian maple.

Also many maples are subject to aphids, which excrete sticky honey-dew, which then gets sooty mold. Do not plant maples where they can drip on the deck, or on the Lambourgini.

Cody likes this.
  10. buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer Addicted to ArboristSite

Western border of mid-southern northern WV
    I agree that all yard trees need periodic attention but too often they don't get it and it gets too big. Maybe pollarding is a solution?