Maple woes..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anniemp70

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in a wooded setting in northern Illinois, with many beautiful Hickory, Oak and Maple trees. This year has been rough as we lost once of each already. In previous years we've lost many to Oak Wilt, treated others. We seem to lose a few trees each year.

Now I fear for a lovely young Maple that seemed to be thriving until I noticed something alarming today, and I haven't been able to find any issue or disease that matches the description of what I'm seeing. All of the leaf tips are brown - all of them. It has been an unusually wet spring and summer so far, but this tree is in the open and gets lots of sun. Also, there are these small holes, about the size of a pencil, 5 or 6 in a row, across the trunk. Many times over.. I've seen these holes on other trees on the property as well.

We had an arborist out previously (it's been a few years) addressing the oak wilt who said he was unfamiliar with the holes... I don't see any insects around them.

I sure hope someone here might be familiar with this and may be able to offer some advice that can help my trees.

Thanks for reading and looking at the pics!
eedde4dceb31623c9f7a18f6e69cc498.jpg
20aab192f6f51b1f1eddc8fa5c9416de.jpg
216de8b12504fd28ca0215d31c7f4216.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back