Market Size for Forestry Mulching Business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much business do you have?

• 1 job every 2 weeks

• 1-2 jobs a week

• 3-4 jobs a week

• Youre booked all week+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hummed46

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here. I posted on a few other forums in csse this looks familiar. Long story short, been operating a few machines for a few years and I'm ready to get in a little deeper. I live in central/southeastern PA and I don't know much about the local market so I'm hoping someone will chime in. I don't want to start calling around trying to get rates or anything underhanded like that so I'm turning to the internet.

I have a close estimate of costs, financing, labor, all that that I'm happy to share with you guys when I get it finished.

The big thing my estimates depend on is just how much work is out there in southeast PA for a one or two man operation with a T770 and mulching head?

I know that's a really vague question...I would be going after small jobs to start...2-3 acre pasture reclaimation, single unimproved lots to be built, trail building...

But the key question is how much work do you guys get? Is it hard to land one or two jobs every couple weeks? Or are you guys seeing 5 days/week every week? One/two guys, truck, trailer, and CTL.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Well there's a outfit in Anchorage that does a few million a year in just doing land clearing with hydroax machines.

Thanks for the response guys. Madhatte, does that mean it's tough to get paid on time? Or tough to get the go-ahead to start work? Or both?

Government pays on time, no problem there. It's getting Contracting to get off their asses to get stuff rolling, and meeting all the BS requirements to get considered as a bidder, that slows things down. I've been on both sides of the contract and I can assure you they're both frustrating.

Compact track loader....and thanks Madhatte, I didnt think about bidding for govt jobs. I was a finance guy in the Marine Corps before I got out...worked with all the contracting officers as a disburser. Got any good suggestions for getting on that platform? I always just handed over the cash...never had to bid as I wasnt a vendor.

Got any good suggestions for getting on that platform?

Not as much as I'd like. I work for a department that is legally forbidden from accepting money for goods or services, so we contract with the COE to accept money on our behalf. I know there's a way to see what's up for bid but I'm not sure where to look. I just prepare the timber sales and hand the finished package up to be money-guyed.

Back