Marsian forestry workers have landed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes these things are quite the invention. I remember the prototypes being tested by Valmet in Finland in the very early 90's. Valmet owned the product then, I guess the division has been sold to Deere. The environmental impact and ability to get to the hard to reach places is increased phenomenally by getting rid of tracks/wheels.

That's definitely one unique looking machine.It should work well on solid ground but I think it will sink those legs in wet terrain.How would you ever go about pulling it out.
Maybe it has a hidden prop for vertical lift.
Later
Dan

That's a neat looking machine. What's the implement on the arm used for? I know nothing about harvesters and such.

Doug, The attachment in the photo is a harvestor head. It cuts, delimbs and bucks. In my area most of the pulp loggers use them albeit on a differant chassis as they are very fast

I saw a machine alot like this at the Elmia Wood Expo in Sweden in 1997....crazy looking stuff...seemed to work pretty well in the application they were showing...ie:hard flat ground...I dont know what kind of slope these machines could handle, but I would presume fairly steep as they appear they could "self level"...i would be willing to bet that this machine would be about the 3-500k mark...as a regular stroker (bucker, delimber) here is about 300k for a good used one...and an 892 JD loader is 750k
But I would really like to run one of these bad boys...

I would imagine that you could get in big trouble real quick with a long tree and no stabilizers. The microprocessor horsepower to articulate the six legs and hold the thing level and stable must be pretty formidable.

I don't know how many of you played "MechWarrior" computor games, 'cause that cricket thing sure looks like the start of a Mech machine.

Think of this,
A couple of boys sitting around the camp fire drinking a few beers, and one of thease things come out of the woods.....Ya think the glass is bulit proff? :D

Think of this,
A couple of boys sitting around the camp fire drinking a few beers, and one of thease things come out of the woods.....Ya think the glass is bulit proff? :D

Think of this,

I've been around alot of mechanized logging, mostly big machines but this takes the cake...which gives me an idea, Doug how hard would it be to build me the circut to go electric over hydraulic so the Predator could walk itself to the log? This would help Dennis greatly next year at Clearwater.

Dont you worry about me Rotax....I just hope you arent sluffing off the weights and can hold your side of the Pred up when i get there in about 3 weeks...I cant be showing the ditch diggin technique to just anyone you know...

but how cool would it be to pick up Lambert by the shorts with that thing and toss him in the birling pond....can anyone do a simulated pic of that with what we've seen???

Latest posts

Back