Massachusetts Rec Climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
I found a beautiful red oak that we can climb in Northborough, MA. Northborough is located a couple miles west of route 495 in "east central" MA.

This particular tree is about a 10 minute (flat!) hike in from Boundry Road. There is ample parking and near the tree, there's a nice picnic table we can use for lunch, gear checks, dendrology debriefings, etc.

The tree itself is about 48 inches in diameter and probably over 100 feet tall. The first limb is about 40 feet up and is about 15 inches in diameter. There are huge, horizontal limbs that are 12 inches or more in diameter at 65 feet. I checked all around the trunk and there are no signs of rot.

The only caveat is that we'll have to move some blow downs and dead limbs from other trees that are around the base. This way, we'll all have some room to spread out our gear and get up the tree.

Oh, by the way, once we're aloft, there are some pristine wetlands to check out with herons, pileated woodpeckers, hawks, and there have been some eagles spotted several miles away.

Everyone who is interested can chime in and we'll work on a date. There's tons of off-street parking and plenty of trees to climb, so don't worry at all about having too many people!

Cheers,

Bob

P.S.- e-mail me at rmihalek------------at---------verizon.net if you feel the need.

No Ivy.

No, there's no poison ivy, but there are some very interesting trees in this area. I like to hike and "dendrolize" along the way, so hopefully we'll all be able to identify some of the local species.

Also, there's an ~24 inch dbh red oak that some beavers decided to try to drop. They've almost girdled it already, so we can check out that tree as well. Maybe we can call this the "Beaver Watch" climb, though there are some double entendres we'll have to consider.

double entendres

Had to look that one up. But ya, dendrolgy in the undies, sure I'm up with that. Checking out beaver girdled red heads. What else do we do on a rec climb. Actually now that I've gone pro I'll have to wear a name tag so you guys can recognize me.:greenchainsaw: In any case I'm signed in and watching the thread.

Date Proposal

I'd like to climb this tree sooner rather than later, so how about a meeting up on Saturday June 6th? If it's going to rain, we can meet on Sunday June 7th.

I'm thinking about buying a little portable grill and having some weisswurtz, knockwurst, sauerbraten and hamburgers cooking in the picnic area.

Cheers,
Bob

I am busy that weekend but the location is not more than 10 minutes from our shop. I would be interested if it was on a later or sooner date. Everyone could meet at our shop too.

Following weekend is fine

How about the following weekend, Saturday June 13th with Sunday as a rain date? Even a week or two later is fine with me.

Saturday 6/13 is good for me, it's on my calendar.

Looking forward to hanging with the committee of buzzards.

Should let OTG Boston know, my cellphone was crushed so I don't have his number anymore
-moss

Last edited:
June 13th

Okay, let's try for Saturday June 13th with a rain date of Sunday June 14th for those who can make it.

LMB48, I live in Northborough, MA and hike all the local trails. There's about 25 miles of trails in N'boro with some HUGE trees along the way. This red oak I found happens to have all the right stuff for a good recreational climb, but there are many others for sure.

Bob

Otg

I sent an e-mail to OTG, but if anyone has his number, feel free to call him.

Are we missing anyone? How about Melissa (Tree Bear?) and the other folks we climbed with out near the Wachusett Reservior? Boston Bull? DilTree?

I sent an e-mail to OTG, but if anyone has his number, feel free to call him.

Are we missing anyone? How about Melissa (Tree Bear?) and the other folks we climbed with out near the Wachusett Reservior? Boston Bull? DilTree?

I've got OTGs number now, I'll let him know. Boston Bull is hanging more on the Buzzboard, you could post the climb there or PM him from there, or here maybe. Same for Melissa, PM is probably going to be the best way to get hold of her.
-moss

Hi Gang,

Let's meet for this climb on Saturday June 13th at 10:00 a.m. at the parking area on Boundry Street near the Marlboro/Northborough town line. I think the parking area is actually in Marlboro, but the couple hundred yard walk to the tree may put us in Northborough. For driving, take route 495 to route 20 west. Once on route 20 west, you'll drive through a commercial area with McDonald's, Starbucks, etc, go through three traffic lights. At the fourth light, make a right onto Boundry St. Go about 0.9 miles and the parking area is on the left in a grassy field.

Rain date Sunday the 14th.

Back