ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Massive hemoraging is a serious risk

Discussion in 'Arboricultural Injuries and Fatalities' started by misfitecho, Jan 13, 2018.

1. misfitecho

misfitecho ArboristSite Lurker

hey everyone. I know I'm new here but I'm not new yo the world of gruesome accidents. I've been a combat medic for years and I keep seeing so many people in this line of work dying from bleeding out. So just some quick stats a little PSA and hopefully a plan for everyone.

Types of bleeds (we care about)
    Arterial- this blood is bright red and pumping out with the heart beat
    Venous- darker red and a steady flow

Both of these bleeds need to be stopped immediately. In sever cases such as a arterial bleed you have .5-1min before you start to loose conciseness. At 2 min your chance of survival is well below 50%. 6min and you're dead. For venous bleeds you might have a little longer.

So what I'm about to propose next may seem a bit crazy. But... Carry a tourniquet on your person and let others know where it is and how to use it. We wear chaps, helmets hearing protection buy nothing if we get hurt. I'm many situations you might have a first aid in the truck but its going to be 2min before someone gets to you. That's to much.

I carry a "RATS" tourniquet around me waist everyday all the time. Please do the same. Cat-t or rats takes up little to no room. Can be applied by the user in under 5seconds with training and will save your life or a friends.

To be honest I have one on my person at all times, one in the pocket of each door in my car and one in my school bag.

Carry a tourniquet.
    How I carry mine

Rats https://www.amazon.com/R-A-T-S-Rapid-Application-Tourniquet-System/dp/B074XFXLG6

CAT-T https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003...tourniquet&dpPl=1&dpID=51iKvKdC-UL&ref=plSrch

2. misfitecho

misfitecho ArboristSite Lurker

Also sent from my busted iPhone with missing pieces. Excuse the errors. :chainsaw:

3. benjo75

benjo75 ArboristSite Operative

Good idea. Thanks for the vid. There was a guy on the news a few months ago who's gun accidentally went off. He carried it like you. I bet he wished he had a tourniquet. Probably wouldn't need one that long though. I carry blot stopper kits on my saddles. Might be a good idea to have a tourniquet or two around too.

treesmith likes this.
  4. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

Can just cut the start cord off the saw and use that.
    If I carried along stuff for nearly every "what if" I'd need a semi truck tagging alonf.

rarefish383 likes this.
  5. treesmith

treesmith tree hugger/cutter

Blood stopper bandage and granules on the back of my harness in a big yellow first aid pouch, wasn't too expensive

6. jomoco

jomoco Tree Freak

Neither were my bandanas......

Used to soak up sweat, blood, filter out dust n stuff etc etc.

Jomoco

rarefish383 likes this.
  7. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

You can't scratch steel :p

president likes this.
  8. Huskybill

Huskybill ArboristSite Guru

I tried to buy that foam looking stuff that melts into to wound when it hits the heat and wetness of the blood. The drug store guy wouldn’t sell it to me, I did buy extra large gause pads with tape. I had a sealed first aid kit in the truck. If we don’t carry a good first aid kit the what if’s can turn into reality.

661Joe likes this.
  9. Enrique Smith

Enrique Smith ArboristSite Lurker

Very true. It is important to carry a first aid!