Massive Oak Takedown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really.
The two minute mark is arguably worse. Just seems like maybe a little out of the wheel house when it comes to.. I dunno.. Medium sized rigging. I get ****ing shook around like that with a limb swinging back at me.. I'm pissed.

Then again, I'm one of those new fangled "whiner climbers" that wants things to go smooth, and not like a caveman rock throwing fight.

Really.
The two minute mark is arguably worse. Just seems like maybe a little out of the wheel house when it comes to.. I dunno.. Medium sized rigging. I get ****ing shook around like that with a limb swinging back at me.. I'm pissed.

Then again, I'm one of those new fangled "whiner climbers" that wants things to go smooth, and not like a caveman rock throwing fight.

We were talking about the one at 3:30, that didn't seem unreasonable.
Yeah, the one at the 2 min mark was kinda odd, like they were doing something on the ground to cause the whiplash. Maybe they had a GRCS cranked to hell ? Seem to little of piece to cause all that.

It sucks that, for the most part, we think AA's tatics are low brow but he is probably A NUMBER ONE with dear Angie.

Dr. Proteus and Backyard Lumberjack ~ thanks for the supportive comments. As far as shock loading that was well within the working load limits of the heavy rope and block I was using. The rope man could have let it run a bit better to reduce the loading but he was one of my rookies and has not developed the good technique that would reduce the loading. I've always maintained that a good rope man can make a less skilled climber look good and a bad rope man can make a good climber look bad. The kid just needs a little more experience.

As far as one handing my saw, tell me of one climber doesn't do that. I use my saw one handed when I need to and I'm pretty good with either hand.

Shock loading? Watch this:

That is a case of a bad rope man, note how many times I told "Lee" to let it run, actually more than is in the video. Lee is a veteran that suffers from PTSS and he froze at just the wrong time. At least I have the balls to show my "blooper Reel" videos where are the detractor's videos? Do they actually work in trees or just post as experts from their mother's basements?

We were talking about the one at 3:30, that didn't seem unreasonable.
Yeah, the one at the 2 min mark was kinda odd, like they were doing something on the ground to cause the whiplash. Maybe they had a GRCS cranked to hell ? Seem to little of piece to cause all that.

Nah, just the rope man's inexperience. That and being about 90' up in the skinny part of the tree.
It sucks that, for the most part, we think AA's tatics are low brow but he is probably A NUMBER ONE with dear Angie.

Low brow? How's that Dr. Proteus? I use state of the art equipment and don't do so bad for a 68 year old climber. I currently have 222 reviews on Angie's List and they are pretty much all rave reviews. My customers love me because I treat them right and do a great clean-up for them. Also, I've never done any property damage in seven years of working over houses and all around power lines.

Dr. Proteus and Backyard Lumberjack ~ thanks for the supportive comments. As far as shock loading that was well within the working load limits of the heavy rope and block I was using. The rope man could have let it run a bit better to reduce the loading but he was one of my rookies and has not developed the good technique that would reduce the loading. I've always maintained that a good rope man can make a less skilled climber look good and a bad rope man can make a good climber look bad. The kid just needs a little more experience.

As far as one handing my saw, tell me of one climber doesn't do that. I use my saw one handed when I need to and I'm pretty good with either hand.

That is a case of a bad rope man, note how many times I told "Lee" to let it run, actually more than is in the video. Lee is a veteran that suffers from PTSS and he froze at just the wrong time. At least I have the balls to show my "blooper Reel" videos where are the detractor's videos? Do they actually work in trees or just post as experts from their mother's basements?

I said that we all thought you were low brow comedy so why you are thanking me I don't know. The only thing I could commend you on is tenacity and I am not so sure that is a proper thing to do.

Oh I guess i missed the word "comedy" in your post Doc. I was thanking you for your opinion that the shock loading wasn't that bad. You got that right. I have experienced shock loading and in the big Oak it wasn't excessive, in fact I hardly noticed it.

If I had seriously injured myself one handing, I would probably be trying to keep two hands on it. Thats just me and you are correct in that a lot of people one hand. AA I do give you credit for climbing at 68 but your technique has something to be desired.IMO. Stay safe you old goat.

And this guy just goes right back at it tearing into that spruce tree.

THE TENACIOUS AERIALIST
THE TENACIOUS A
TA ( for short)

Put some cracked out nutjob who " freezes" on the end of my rope and I will kill you.

It's easy to get hurt in this business. The real danger in the video above is getting thrown over the top of the cut and losing your flip line's contact with the tree. Lee the rope man is a veteran who I was trying to help fight his demons by giving him a job. Lee is actually coming out on my job today. My rope man in the massive Oak is a Marine reservist and I've hired many veterans.

You don't even have to be up a tree to get hurt, here is me making a two handed cut from the ground:

I may be old but I ain't slow. The branch got caught in my saddle's bridge.

No second tie in whilst cutting, visor up whilst cutting, no undercuts hence the bar getting trapped by limbs, too much one handed cutting and the groundie is a balloon! I wouldn't like to see this crew working over my greenhouse. If I had one!

It's easy to get hurt in this business. The real danger in the video above is getting thrown over the top of the cut and losing your flip line's contact with the tree. Lee the rope man is a veteran who I was trying to help fight his demons by giving him a job. Lee is actually coming out on my job today. My rope man in the massive Oak is a Marine reservist and I've hired many veterans.

You don't even have to be up a tree to get hurt, here is me making a two handed cut from the ground:

I may be old but I ain't slow. The branch got caught in my saddle's bridge.

Looks like you got a bang into the crown jewels!

No second tie in whilst cutting, visor up whilst cutting, no undercuts hence the bar getting trapped by limbs, too much one handed cutting and the groundie is a balloon! I wouldn't like to see this crew working over my greenhouse. If I had one!

The ground is a balloon? Well I think that sure is hurtful thing to say although I am not sure what you mean.

As I said earlier Lee is a veteran with Post Traumatic Stress and he froze up and stopped the falling top of the Pine and that's what took me for a ride. I was Pizzed off about that but I got over it and finished the job.

Here's Lee driving my Stiener right into the trailer that brought it:

why are there 2 threads for what is erm, to put it politely, some pretty mediocre tree work?

Back