Massive Tree Die off in North Eastern Ohio - Anybody in the area?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike85

Reaction score
I'm living on my late grandmother's 2 acre wooded estate. Behind her property is another 6 acres of woods. It seems like almost all of the trees are diseased in one way or another. Everyday a tree is falling, snapping, or crumbling to the ground. I've noticed it in all of the wooded lots along all of the man roads in the area.

I am by no means an Arborist of expert of any kind. But it doesn't take an expert to see something major is going on here.

I put together a 6 minute video to give an idea of the scope of the problem. Forgive me for the shaky footage and bad filming. This is the first video I have ever made in my life.

Is there anybody in the Cleveland area that would be willing to assess what is going on here?

I'm not seeing anything too drastic there. Some dead chunks. A few dead trees that I couldn't tell what kind they are. The big snapped one at the end was a pine - looked like white pine.

3:12 - that was physical damage to the tree that caused decay...is that tree dead or still alive?

3:41 - is that tree dead, or just a stem canker?

4:04 - that green stuff you are zooming into is just lichen

4:30 that was an ash - most likely killed by Emerald Ash Borer (probably the same with that pile of trees after that?) and the tree at 5:15

Don't beat yourself up. The video is way more information than a couple of camera shots, and not as shaky as the climber videos I watch regularly.
I would at least say don't let the kids play under the tree at 3:33.

3:12 - that was physical damage to the tree that caused decay...is that tree dead or still alive?
It had leaves last summer.
3:41 - is that tree dead, or just a stem canker?
It's alive. I was just showing the green that goes all the way up.
4:30 that was an ash - most likely killed by Emerald Ash Borer (probably the same with that pile of trees after that?) and the tree at 5:15
Where those little bugs I show at 5:01 Borer?
I would at least say don't let the kids play under the tree at 3:33.
Those toys just happen to be there, the kids are definitely not playing there. Thanks for the concern :)

Back