Mastermind Meets The Echo CS-355T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep... figure out how to open the intake earlier to take advantage of the velocity. An earlier opening also means decreased velocity as the charge may not build to its full potential.... but you should see larger volume.... and more power!

Opening the intake 3° sooner. :)

I have been looking at these echo's lately, wouldn't mind trying the rear handle version...

I didn't want to disturb the flow velocity of this tight design too much so I just opened the entrance to the auxiliary transfers some and widened the uppers. The intake was widened and lowered a bit and the exhaust was raised a fuzz and widened. For got muffler pics but it's an open can so modding it is a breeze.

I don't think we should widen this any more at all......

Echo355T030_zpsb2e0fdae.jpg

I thought you just bought a bunch of new t-shirts?

Hey good stuff Randy. Any pre mod videos? I've been watching these little saws with some interest but as yet nobody has convinced me they are as good as a 200T despite some claims being made around the traps.

I thought you just bought a bunch of new t-shirts?

Looks like he flexed his biceps and stretched the arse out of the fabric. Or a man boob fell out the side - thats what happens to me anyway...

Big damn pistons in these huh? Notice that it doesn't have a cheesy stamped rod?

Echo355T016_zpse4d3cec8.jpg

There's that offset again.......

Echo355T017_zpsaaa868ff.jpg

That "offset design" must be their "Vortex Boost". They have been using this since intoducing the CS370/CS400. I'm thinking more intake charge on one side casues the mix to swirl. The fact that there is no cat in the muffler and 300 hour EPA compliance suggests that they burn rather cleanly, so the design must be working. I noticed the single ring piston...:popcorn:

What I DON"T like about the CS370/CS400 is the fact that they weigh as much as a Stihl 026! The older, small Echos (3450/345/346) were 7.5# powerheads. My Makita/Dolmar DCS401(39cc) is 8.8# with MAG CASES!(and plastic handlebar:msp_thumbdn:)

Man, you guys are making me want a tophandle now..... And it hasnt even beenj a week since my last saw....

Nice saw- the overall design and engine are very close to the Tanaka TCS-3401s, but that one has 2 channel transfers not the 4 channel like the Echo.

Port Stuffers

The port stuffers need to be in there according to Echo. We did a teardown on that saw at service school last fall and the stuffers were a point of debate. The instructor couldn't tell my why, but he could tell me the saw lost alot of power and rpms if run without them.

The canted cylinder porting comes from Shindaiwa influence, they have had the twisted layout in the 285,300,352,360, and 377 saws since the eighties.

Last edited:
Another word on the transfer stuffers. The engine in the CS-355T is the same basic design as the CS-350T, a model that has been in use in the EU for several years now but has never been sold in the US. However, the stuffers are unique to the US model CS-355T and according to Echo gives it something like a 16% boost in performance. (I may be off a bit on that number, memory fails me:msp_sneaky:) I have also heard say that the saw will run without them, but will be down on power.

Think they were put in the meet EPA?

I don't think so Steve......they appear to be added for optimum direction and velocity.

Hey good stuff Randy. Any pre mod videos? I've been watching these little saws with some interest but as yet nobody has convinced me they are as good as a 200T despite some claims being made around the traps.

Oh yeah.....we got videos..... :msp_sneaky:

Another word on the transfer stuffers. The engine in the CS-355T is the same basic design as the CS-350T, a model that has been in use in the EU for several years now but has never been sold in the US. However, the stuffers are unique to the US model CS-355T and according to Echo gives it something like a 16% boost in performance. (I may be off a bit on that number, memory fails me:msp_sneaky:) I have also heard say that the saw will run without them, but will be down on power.

I treaded carefully on the mods to the transfers......it plain to see that some insane engineer didn't just shoot from the hip with this thing.

A lot of guys seem to think they know much more than the designers of these engines......I just try to tweak what's there rather than reinvent the wheel.

I don't think so Steve......they appear to be added for optimum direction and velocity.

Oh yeah.....we got videos..... :msp_sneaky:

I treaded carefully on the mods to the transfers......it plain to see that some insane engineer didn't just shoot from the hip with this thing.

A lot of guys seem to think they know much more than the designers of these engines......I just try to tweak what's there rather than reinvent the wheel.

Looking good. I'm liking everything I see and learn about these new little top handles.

My dealer doesn't have one in yet, but he said his spring order will have one for me. I almost just got one shipped, but this dealer has taken real good care of me and is just a nice guy to boot, so I want to give him the sale.

On the funny shape of the piston: I think that is simply for the top handle configuration. The Stihl 192t has some really weird stuff with it's piston too. I like the stuffers and inserts, shows that perfomance was part of the design process. I'll bet there are gains aplenty to be had because Echo still has to meet EPA substandards. The wide open muffler is a nice surprise.

Mr. HE:cool:

If you have time to tear the saw down a few more times, I think that it would be worth it to test it with and without the transfer inserts.

Back