Mastermind Meets The Echo CS-355T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muffler modded 200T in cherry.....an average of .25 second faster.....

Last edited:
If you have time to tear the saw down a few more times, I think that it would be worth it to test it with and without the transfer inserts.

I'll second that.
It does look a lot like the 350T inside I had awhile back.

I'll second that.
It does look a lot like the 350T inside I had awhile back.

I believe I'm happy with it as is Steve. I used it to noodle and buck up a small maple into firewood. I just noodled into it bar length then cut that off.......it held RPM very well even with the bar buried.

It looks real good Randy.

It's interesting that it needs to be ported to be slower than a stock 200T though :)

Now calm down Echo folks. I do think this is a huge improvement over Echo's past top handles. They learned from their awful mistakes it seems. I'm going to recommend this one to my bud. It looks like a worthwhile product.

I may have missed it somewhere, but is this saw rev limited?

It's interesting that it needs to be ported to be slower than a stock 200T though :)

Now calm down Echo folks. I do think this is a huge improvement over Echo's past top handles. They learned from their awful mistakes it seems. I'm going to recommend this one to my bud. It looks like a worthwhile product.

Well we must be totally honest in our reviews and threads on these saws Jeff. The Echo is a fine saw.....it really is.

The muffler modded 200T is a fast little ##### though......

After some run time I do think this 355 will be right with it though.

Rev limited? Good question......my tach crapped out so it couldn't use it to find a cut out point.

Yes on the rev limiter, 14,800 or 15,200 I think. The one I have as a demo runs 14,500 and 4 strokes.

Well, it wasn't a stock Stihl, muff mod really helps a 200t. From an economics standpoint the Echo with a mod costs the same or less than a 200t or 201t and all indicators are that it would outperform the 201t. That is how tree guys will be looking at it. :)

As an interesting side note I was going over in my head all the climbers I know or have met and I can only think of a few that run stock saws. Almost every one of them, regardless of what they run, opens the muffler and pulls the limiters off the carbs, and many of them do a woods port or have one done by a saw builder.

Mr. HE:cool:

Good stuff Randy. Modded it would be a worthwhile addition for the price.
I did honestly think though that modified it would give a 200T a good rogering. Just goes to show how far ahead of time the 200T/020T was.

Good stuff Randy. Modded it would be a worthwhile addition for the price.
I did honestly think though that modified it would give a 200T a good rogering. Just goes to show how far ahead of time the 200T/020T was.

Well it would be a better race after the Echo has more than a half of a tank through it. :laugh:

Looks like now is a good time to start dumping the Stihl TH, as long as the market is still hyped......:D

Well, it wasn't a stock Stihl, muff mod really helps a 200t. From an economics standpoint the Echo with a mod costs the same or less than a 200t or 201t and all indicators are that it would outperform the 201t. That is how tree guys will be looking at it. :)

As an interesting side note I was going over in my head all the climbers I know or have met and I can only think of a few that run stock saws. Almost every one of them, regardless of what they run, opens the muffler and pulls the limiters off the carbs, and many of them do a woods port or have one done by a saw builder.

Mr. HE:cool:

Yes, but a stock 200T can be muff modded and still be stock just by removing one screw and taking out the spark screen cartridge. You can muff mod it and keep the warranty intact ;) Not that it matters any more regarding the 200T but it sure was an important point at one time.

Or, Randy did you mean by muff mod on the 200 that you opened up in addition to removing teh spark screen?

I really like the domed piston on this thing. And I have to say the quality of that cylinder looks superb. What are the squish and comp numbers?

Looks like now is a good time to start dumping the Stihl TH, as long as the market is still hyped......:D

Uh, so a guy can have some money to pay to have the echo ported? Not sure a guy would even come out ahead on the deal. Stihl is still the only option for a mag cased saw as well.

I really really wish we were talking about the T540XP when comparing this echo. Oh well. One day. Or not....

i pretty sure this whole build randy did showed a very mildly massaged with a half tank thru it 355T can hang right with the legendary MM'd 200T. only time will tell when someone steps up on the porting once we all get more comfy with the different port configuration and it's quirks if it can ever claim the top spot.

no need for anyone to start a pissing match over hurt brand feelings in an otherwise informative thread...

THANKS RANDY FOR AN EXCELLENT BUILD THREAD

Last edited:
Yes, but a stock 200T can be muff modded and still be stock just by removing one screw and taking out the spark screen cartridge. You can muff mod it and keep the warranty intact ;) Not that it matters any more regarding the 200T but it sure was an important point at one time.

Or, Randy did you mean by muff mod on the 200 that you opened up in addition to removing teh spark screen?

I really like the domed piston on this thing. And I have to say the quality of that cylinder looks superb. What are the squish and comp numbers?

Yes that 200T had the muffler opened and the dividers milled out, along with some extra opening.....the screen ain't ever going back in that muffler. The base gasket is gone too.

i pretty sure this whole build randy did showed a very mildly massaged with a half tank thru it 355T can hang right with the legendary MM'd 200T. only time will tell when someone steps up on the porting once we all get more comfy with the different port configuration and it's quirks if it can ever claim the top spot.

no need for anyone to start a pissing match over hurt brand feelings in an otherwise informative thread...

THANKS RANDY FOR AN EXCELLENT BUILD THREAD

I've found that on some saws less is more....way more. You might do more grinding and go backward on this saw fast.

Last edited:
i gotcha. so it's a very dynamically balanced motor from the get go. thats good to hear. once you get more tanks thru it could you give us a fuel consumption opinion.

apparently my mind thinks i need my IRS money to go towards a top handle now:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm not a top handle kinda guy, but thought this to be an interesting thread. The little Echo is definitely stronger than its reed valve predecessors. I'm curious as to how much just a MM and retune would have helped.

I just checked and MSRP runs $449-$459, and of the (3) listed on the 'bay, the lowest is $400 shipped. These are not exactly inexpensive little critters.

Back