Mastermind Meets The MS661 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what I don't get is they field tested the 661 for like 2yrs before going into production. So now it's in production these problems come to light??!?!?!??!?!?!

what I don't get is they field tested the 661 for like 2yrs before going into production. So now it's in production these problems come to light??!?!?!??!?!?!

The field tested saws are all limited build prototype saws, and many have variation in design. At some point the final design is locked in and they go into production. Then the early production saws are quality tested to be up to spec. Then they go into full production and saws are quick tested and shipped out. If parts that go into the saws vary from the first runs, as seems to be the case here (with cylinder plating, or piston crown material, not sure yet) and failures occur, they are called back and torn down and or re-tested. I bet they found a design flaw or flaws in some part or parts that had passed tolerances but they failed in use. So they have to redesign those parts. My read anyway.

You can read my latest updates over on the 661 recall thread, but according to some more reliable sources in Europe, the 661 is in engineering re-design and the 661 re-release is now being pushed back to an August, 2014 release date. They are ramped up on 660 production again and new 660 saws will be shopped to the UK (and presumably the US) starting next week. As a result of that news, I have to surmise that all the existing 661s out there are going to be a first limited production run. As reported by owners in France, Germany and the UK, some more 661s are failing in time after being used. They ran like rapes apes when new, but became turds over time. Many are still being run and have full power though, so failures are not consistent. Hard to tell, as Stihl is not being transparent about 661 failures and these reports are from people like us using them posting on forums like this one.

I can't wait until the masterminded 661shows up at a GTG. I'd love to see some big wood comparison vids with the other big saws

Although if I had a masterminded 661 I wouldn't put it in wood next to some chump with a ported 394. Be like putting your Ferrari on the strip next to a souped up camaro. Nothing to gain there

Maybe they had an idea and came up with a better running 661. Maybe a mechanical issue is bs. I can't wait to see what changed when they release.

It would be real interesting to see what is really going on,i say this because all the failing 661s and still no hard facts ???
Maybe i got this all wrong ,but
There's plenty of forums out there with like minded members yet no one has reported a failure or even taken pics ..............dunno seems odd you know,lots of hearsay:confused:

I just hope they bring out the direct injection 661!
_sabber.gif
That would finally be something like pulling down your pants and showing the rear end in direction of Husqvarna....
__scheck.gif
icon_hihi.gif

I mean the technique is now proven in their cut off saws so what are they waiting for!?

Yes yes... I have read some of your posts on der German site. To correct your English though: its overseas, and sea... tough see could be a pun I guess.

Problem with Stihl on the 661 not-a-recall is that they have been like Toyota with all the secrecy, and saying that it is a non-issue, and that the saws are all bad someplace else. I know from reading the domestic and international forums that there were bad 661 saws in Germany, France, the UK, and the US. Dealers here are getting pissed off at Stihl over the lack of information on this issue, either from the distributors or the mother company. Users in the UK, Germany and France are of similar opinion.
Oh no my english... :oops: ...and me a pun, I could never be so smart, at maximum I could be a bum! ;)

I read similar threads that many are irritated about the issue. Redelivering the 660 is a bad idea in my eyes!

I still want to see someone make some foam castings of a few ports.
They would sorta look like cores for lost wax casting, just made from something flexible
so as to be able to pull them out when the material sets.

I'm waiting for the yearly termite inspection dude to show up, So yall may get some goofy thoughts outta me.
Guess I should go move some things out of the way instead of reading here.

I use a two part flexible moulding compound from my dentist to make patterns for digitizing or duplicating.

Maybe they had an idea and came up with a better running 661. Maybe a mechanical issue is bs. I can't wait to see what changed when they release.

I doubt that. They would have just come out with a 661 type II 'improved model' in another year or so in that case. This is a huge issue and one that they are trying to keep a tight lid on. It is costing them a lot of money to stop production on the 661 and go back into production on the 660. It is also costing them dearly to redesign and revise parts and get them made. Never mind all the peeved Stihl users and would-be buyers. Instead of luring Husky owners away from the likes of the 395, they are driving more people toward them.

It would be real interesting to see what is really going on,i say this because all the failing 661s and still no hard facts ???
Maybe i got this all wrong ,but
There's plenty of forums out there with like minded members yet no one has reported a failure or even taken pics ..............dunno seems odd you know,lots of hearsay:confused:

What is there to take pix of? You break the saw under warranty, it goes back to the dealer to fix. They collect and ship them back to Germany. End of story. It is quite typical and intentional with any type of failed new model product or recall to keep it under wraps. Also if there were no issues, there would be 661s popping up all over the place. They are not. Also failures have been reported... in the UK, in the US, and in Germany.

Oh, it must be an anti-Stihl conspiracy! Not...

Most Governments, their militia, their police, heck even their nonexistent spy agencies
Can't seem to not leak a photo or a report.
Yet Stihl can prevent any anyone from dropping the muffler
or pointing a camera down the sparkplug hole
(and I have personally done the sparkplug peep on other saws with a simple point & shoot)
before taking a saw back to the dealer
aannnd
can even keep a Worldwide gaggle of dealers from leaking a snapshot?

Fellers, I have to admit that I am darned impressed by that!!

I'm being a bit flippant here, but still, It's gotta make a fellow wonder. no?
Heck, there's gonna be a fine suspense-drama-action movie
that could be made from this.

Most Governments, their militia, their police, heck even their nonexistent spy agencies
Can't seem to not leak a photo or a report.
Yet Stihl can prevent any anyone from dropping the muffler
or pointing a camera down the sparkplug hole
(and I have personally done the sparkplug peep on other saws with a simple point & shoot)
before taking a saw back to the dealer
aannnd
can even keep a Worldwide gaggle of dealers from leaking a snapshot?

Fellers, I have to admit that I am darned impressed by that!!

I'm being a bit flippant here, but still, It's gotta make a fellow wonder. no?
Heck, there's gonna be a fine suspense-drama-action movie
that could be made from this.
Thats what i'm talking about,you know what ,
I say this to STIHL "PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN",their someone had to say it:D

Thats what i'm talking about,you know what ,
I say this to STIHL "PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN",their someone had to say it:D

Yes, its a giant CONSPIRACY! Globally, people that speak completely different languages and deal with completely different distribution channels masterminded a scheme to say that a lot of new 661 all pretty much break in the same way, and at the same time. And Stihl dealerships throughout the world pretty much say the same thing. Sure... and just by sheer coincidence Stihl starts shipping 660 saws again, after they stopped production. I doubt that any photos would convince any "PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN", types anyway.

BTW: Photos can as easily be falsified as anything else. Actually far easier with a digital camera and Photoshop. So I do not understand the demand for posted photos or the idea that they somehow support claims for anything.

Back