Matching th chain to the bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Recently purchased a Stihl MS260 with a 16" bar and wanted to know if the new chains I have on hand will fit. The bar and chain is .326 but not sure what the other numbers mean and dont wanna tear the sprocket and new bar up with an incorrect chain. If I remember correctly the bar has a 66 on it and the Oregon chain box has a 67.

Last edited:
Recently purchased a Stihl MS260 with a 16" bar and wanted to know if the new chains I have on hand will fit. The bar and chain is .326 but not sure what the other numbers mean and dont wanna tear the sprocket,and new bar up with an incorrect chain.

The gauge(.043,.050,.058,.063,) the pitch (3/8lp,3/8,.325,.404),and the sprocket,drive links all need to match.

Gauge:is the measurment between the rails
Pitch: the distance between any 3 rivets on the chain, divided by half.

What chain is it?what are the numbers?

Last edited:
Its an Oregon chain that I use on my Husqvarna 346XP but I dont have it in front of me to read the numbers off. Actually have two new chains so I was hoping one would fit the 260.

If your saw is set up with 0.325 pitch, then the gauge will almost certainly be 0.063. Stihl likes to use 0.063 while Husky likes 0.058. Thus, if your chains fit your Husky, they won't fit the Stihl.

The drive link count isn't as critical: My 026 (ie old MS260) came new with an 80 link chain even though the bar called for 81.

Back