Max flow on 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I was in a burn area bucking trees off trail. The 500i air filter I added a bead of Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease between the filter and case. No black soot made it around that grease seal. The grease did not melt and flow like others will.

The stock filter did a good job as I did not see any black soot behind the filter on the white housing. Cutting again tomorrow and will have another look after cutting.

https://inlandvacuum.com/portfolio/dow-corning-high-vacuum-grease/
Curious as to how others are getting along with the aftermarket filter systems for the Stihl 500i?

I cut mostly dead ash in the winter. I haven’t noticed any fines getting into the intake horn. For the purpose of these pictures I just pulled the cover and filter off to show nothing seems to get behind it.
Normally, I blow the saw off, take the cover off. Blow around the filter and then remove the filter and bang it out. Clean the cover and reassemble.6398D82B-BB2D-4EEF-9141-87E66D10BBD3.jpeg559EAA33-D372-4FE8-8244-62F6F700518D.jpeg224BCBE9-1075-4849-8C51-E82053CCF029.jpeg

I cut mostly dead ash in the winter. I haven’t noticed any fines getting into the intake horn. For the purpose of these pictures I just pulled the cover and filter off to show nothing seems to get behind it.
Normally, I blow the saw off, take the cover off. Blow around the filter and then remove the filter and bang it out. Clean the cover and reassemble.View attachment 963870View attachment 963874View attachment 963875
It's a shame Stihl didn't use the 462/husky type design for the 500 so it could have a air injection type system.

Back