Max flow on 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now I think reall it comes down to more than just saying things are black and white. I've seen old saws with basically no air filter look perfect inside, on the other hand I have in fact seen modern saws not handle dust and fail because of it.

When it comes to the 500i, is dust getting by the little foam seal where the cover attaches? That's the only place I can see dust getting passed, and Stihl should have just used a threaded stud rubber seal and a knob to hold the cover on.

I've been cutting dead Ash much of it has turned to mush, so when you cut it, you create a cloud of dust, dry ash is dusty even when solid, and yes my ****ing chain is sharp.

500i after two tanks of fuel cutting this stuff. Not bad, not great, nothing on or around the butterfly.

80742212f81c1967b426966d64d59f51.jpg
d49d96679dd83032a832c0c35d98a16f.jpg

On my 362 with the snap on double filter I ran a thin smear of Vaseline between the filter and base to help seal and stop fine dust. Could that work on the 500i ?
The base isn't how it seals, there's a radial rubber seal, that's not where dust is getting in.

My finger is on the seal in the pic.

9239cf297e3b36cca668963347f2463d.jpg

I’ve lost track of all the old saws I’ve had over the years that had been run with “custom” or no filter at all. I’d never use a saw without, But on most of them the filter just sat in there. Look at an xl12 Homelite, Mac 6-10, Poulan 306a. Maybe those saws just didn’t get use
I’ve lost track of all the old saws I’ve had over the years that had been run with “custom” or no filter at all. I’d never use a saw without, But on most of them the filter just sat in there. Look at an xl12 Homelite, Mac 6-10, Poulan 306a. Maybe those saws just didn’t get used as much...
Trees fall on the trail here because they are dead and rotting, witch when they are cut produce powder, sometimes clouds of it. That is when you have to clean the filter
I cut native wood to my area for fire wood, storm damage or just plain removal. Like I said never had a problem and in the 500 or so saws that have come across my bench I’ve never seen one fail from saw dust.
Well now I think reall it comes down to more than just saying things are black and white. I've seen old saws with basically no air filter look perfect inside, on the other hand I have in fact seen modern saws not handle dust and fail because of it.

When it comes to the 500i, is dust getting by the little foam seal where the cover attaches? That's the only place I can see dust getting passed, and Stihl should have just used a threaded stud rubber seal and a knob to hold the cover on.

I've been cutting dead Ash much of it has turned to mush, so when you cut it, you create a cloud of dust, dry ash is dusty even when solid, and yes my ****ing chain is sharp.

500i after two tanks of fuel cutting this stuff. Not bad, not great, nothing on or around the butterfly.

80742212f81c1967b426966d64d59f51.jpg
d49d96679dd83032a832c0c35d98a16f.jpg
Yeah that’s cool n all, you can dump that pleated filter out all the time compared to a max and I’ve done solved the washer seal too.And with better inspect that a little closer because there are fines in that pic and you can see where they are getting around. I don’t keep any of my saws stock by the way either.
The base isn't how it seals, there's a radial rubber seal, that's not where dust is getting in.

My finger is on the seal in the pic.

9239cf297e3b36cca668963347f2463d.jpg
yea it’s simple the 1/4 wing can’t get it tight enough there fore it vibrates around as the av is weaker than any other saw I’ve got. And you need to tune in your pics a lil better cause there are small particulate matter in there. Your saw do what ever you want.

Yeah that’s cool n all, you can dump that pleated filter out all the time compared to a max and I’ve done solved the washer seal too.And with better inspect that a little closer because there are fines in that pic and you can see where they are getting around. I don’t keep any of my saws stock by the way either.

yea it’s simple the 1/4 wing can’t get it tight enough there fore it vibrates around as the av is weaker than any other saw I’ve got. And you need to tune in your pics a lil better cause there are small particulate matter in there. Your saw do what ever you want.
Now looking at the Max Flow in the OP pictures, most of the filters surface are looks covered by the shroud, with only a few open sections, am I seeing this correctly?
You can simply trim away on the sides if you want to and how ever much you want unless you keep your stuff factory then don’t bother.

thanks for the image, that shows more. Looks like best to blow it some before popping off the filter as fines fall out of the filter onto the throttle area. Or pop it off bar tip up.
It’s a little hard to carry a compressor with you when your in the middle of the woods unless you wanna go back and forth.

wood naturally contains dirt and minerals in it as the bark does as well not just cellulose fibers, any time cutting with the grain or bark it creates dust even with a sharp chain...even the chain/clutch/bar generate metal dust. A prefilter on a engine is going to extend its service life esp if it is a oiled prefilter.

wood naturally contains dirt and minerals in it as the bark does as well not just cellulose fibers, any time cutting with the grain or bark it creates dust even with a sharp chain...even the chain/clutch/bar generate metal dust. A prefilter on a engine is going to extend its service life esp if it is a oiled prefilter.
Only if the sealing areas actually seal. On any Stihl saw, they don't. None of them.
Dull chains will help clog a/fs. Dirty, dead wood will too. But Stihl sealing areas leak.
Not all that familiar with other brands.
I use grease on all seams, knobs and seals. That works.

Only if the sealing areas actually seal. On any Stihl saw, they don't. None of them.
Dull chains will help clog a/fs. Dirty, dead wood will too. But Stihl sealing areas leak.
I’m glad other people are seeing the same issues, I didn’t post this to start an argument, I just wanted to so people could see what they can do with these saws and try things that can make them better.

if it is really concerning rub grease on the saw side sealing surface and on the filter rub a thin layer of black or grey rtv then install the filter but do not tighten but a hair and let cure. this should keep the rtv from bonding to the saw yet bond to the filter creating a larger sealing area. I have used this with success in the past in on filter sandwich mounting plates that were corroded

The fines you see fell in when I removed the filter.

The fine dust you see fell in when I removed the filter. It's clear you have an attitude, I was just offering my findings so far, things can very well change down the road. Relax dude.

The fines you see fell in when I removed the filter.

The fine dust you see fell in when I remove the filter. It's clear you have an attitude, I was just offering my findings so far, things can very well change down the road. Relax dude.
No I don’t have an attitude just tryna set it straight because this is what I’m seeing and that shouldn’t be that deep in the throat from just taking the filter off, my opinion

Attachments

• A79DDAEF-E9AF-40FA-88CA-8B6975FA3F97.png
    A79DDAEF-E9AF-40FA-88CA-8B6975FA3F97.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
No I don’t have an attitude just tryna set it straight because this is what I’m seeing and that shouldn’t be that deep in the throat from just taking the filter off, my opinion
The speck on the right side bottom? The dust is crazy light and fine it was getting everywhere, I also had the heat blowing. I looked very closely nothing got in so far. Look I'm just reporting what I find, if you don't like that fine, but at this point you're calling me a liar, that doesn't fly. I've been known to mod saws here and there myself.:)

I’m glad other people are seeing the same issues, I didn’t post this to start an argument, I just wanted to so people could see what they can do with these saws and try things that can make them better.
Its just a shame that a saw as advanced as it is, and the freakin a/f leaks.
I would think they could handle a problem, that everyone knows exists except them.
Denial. Beginning to be a way of life anymore.

The speck on the right side bottom? The dust is crazy light and fine it was getting everywhere, I also had the heat blowing. I looked very closely nothing got in so far. Look I'm just reporting what I find, if you don't like that fine, but at this point you're calling me a liar, that doesn't fly. I've been known to mod saws here and there myself.:)
Made a video earlier just because.

Ha that’s funny apparently it must of really got to you to make a video.

Back