Max tree diameter vs. chainsaw bar length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwa000

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
question about the maximum tree diameter i can use a chainsaw on in relation to the bar length.

everything i have seen while googling is if you are taking a tree down. my trees are already down (in about 6-8 foot sections) so my question is concerning sawing these into firewood size pieces.

the chainsaw i have has an 18" bar.

thanks!

Yeah...a little less than 2x the bar length is easy. But it is not out of the question to be able to cut 3x the bar length with some plunge cutting. Not fun, at all....but possible. I'd plan on 35" as well.

Yeah...a little less than 2x the bar length is easy. But it is not out of the question to be able to cut 3x the bar length with some plunge cutting. Not fun, at all....but possible. I'd plan on 35" as well.

thanks!

i measured the largest diameter and it is 22". i figured i could go part way down then rotate the log to continue cutting but just wanted to make sure as i do value my limbs. :)

thanks!

i measured the largest diameter and it is 22". i figured i could go part way down then rotate the log to continue cutting but just wanted to make sure as i do value my limbs. :)
The two biggest things to watch out for doing what you're doing is kickback and getting your bar pinched. Are you familiar with those terms?

The two biggest things to watch out for doing what you're doing is kickback and getting your bar pinched. Are you familiar with those terms?

i am familar with those terms and i have on occasion gotten the bar pinched. usually try to positiion the log so that the piece justs drops off.

Ive made a habit of placing a nylon wedge in my pocket for just that reason. Even smaller trunks will catch you. The nylon (or whatever it is) wedge wont hurt your chain and I have used it to cut, as safely as possible, even heavily hung widowmakers when I needed to get the job done.

Capture+_2019-11-02-19-26-58.png

Ive made a habit of placing a nylon wedge in my pocket for just that reason. Even smaller trunks will catch you. The nylon (or whatever it is) wedge wont hurt your chain and I have used it to cut, as safely as possible, even heavily hung widowmakers when I needed to get the job done.

View attachment 770181
Liked for the coloring within the lines and using various colors:lol:.

Latest posts

Back