Maximum Tree Diameter to Move with Tree Spade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landrand

Reaction score
Last summer I purchased a tow-able trailer tree spade. Although I'm not sure of the manufacturer (Crab ??) I believe it's a trailerable 53" tree spade. I have 35 acres and am clearing various area's on the property. Rather than cut down some tree's, I would like to move them instead. My question is: what would you consider to be the maximum diameter tree I should consider moving with this tree spade and still have a good chance the tree will survive the move?

I have mostly Red Pine, Jack Pine, White Pine, White/Black Spruce, Red Maple, Red Oak, and Aspen of various sizes. Thanks for your time and looking forward to hearing the Guru's recommendations. 20180716_213111.jpg 20180716_213019.jpg

Soil types, species and after care also factor into the equation. Cheating on the standard one way or another depending on those factors. Any transplanting comes with the risk of losing plant material, so your acceptable losses should be considered.

Back