May I ask you bar gurus to help with this please?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altair

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Okay. Have an Oleo Mac GS650

Need to buy a 20 inch bar, been quoted $150 here in NZ, but I'm wondering if its interchangeable with say Husky?
3/8 0.058

Attached is are 2 photos of my longer 24 inch original Oleo Mac bar, hopefully some of you clued up people may be able to identify what bar mount it is? That way maybe we can tell if it can use a bar from a different brand of saw?

Here in NZ bars are pricey, so if I know of any other options I can shop around. Don't want a cheap chink one so hoping a Carlton/Oregon/Windsor bar may be identified to be able to fit.

Thanks guys for your time and knowledge!

Attachments

• IMG_20180902_122030.jpg
    IMG_20180902_122030.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20180902_122039.jpg
    IMG_20180902_122039.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 27
can buy adapters here for Husky to Stihl, but the oleo mac runs a different pitch, plus the adapter may not work with Oleo Mac? I might ring the shop who sells these to ask, cheers

Know anyone that has access to a CNC laser cutter? It could cost you only a couple of bucks for material + some of your buddy's favorite adult beverage. Hell, if you're slow and careful you could make one by hand out of a piece of steel bar stock.

The Oleo Mac runs 0.058 and my Stihl bar and chain is 0.063. So would need to replace rim sprocket too.

How did your GS650 go with the 24in bar? Considering getting one but wondering if it'll go alright without bogging down in the cut

How did your GS650 go with the 24in bar? Considering getting one but wondering if it'll go alright without bogging down in the cut
He hasn't been to this site in a year, so you may be waiting a long time for a reply.

That said, a GS650 has enough power for a 24" bar. That's usually the case for any saw in this displacement and power class.

He hasn't been to this site in a year, so you may be waiting a long time for a reply.

That said, a GS650 has enough power for a 24" bar. That's usually the case for any saw in this displacement and power class.
Thank you for that! Appreciate it. Will I need to tune the saw up a bit? I think it's running at 12,000 rpm at the moment.

Well peak power is at 9000rpm on that saw so I think 12K should be sufficient ;)

If by tuneup you mean a new plug and fuel filter- sure if it's been a few years. You haven't provided any background on the saw so we can't offer much info in return.

Back